Ch 11 - Private Tutor Professor

• Dedicado a Alan Turing

In this chapter we meet Olivia's tutor for the first time. He is affectionately inspired by the codebreaker and celebrated mathematician Alan Turing (1912 - 1954) who actually did live in a house ten minutes from the fictitious location of Olivia's house, near Alderley Edge, Cheshire. The concept is: What if Alan Turing were alive today, what would he be like? This chapter is also inspired by my first tutoring session with the student who provided the inspiration for this story.  Her anguish and frustration set my mind thinking: If only there was an easy way to become a star student!

The following Monday afternoon, January 30th, was cold but sunny. Liz and Olivia were sitting at the kitchen table. At four o’clock sharp, they heard the sound of car tyres on the gravel outside and then a knock at the door. Liz flung open the back door and standing in front of her she saw a man with dark hair, very short at the back, thick on the top combed over  to the side, wearing a thin tie and an old fashioned check jacket. He looked nervously from side to side.

“Is it Alan?” she said with a wide enthusiastic smile.

“Yes,” he replied hesitantly.

Liz glanced at his car which was old but clean and in very good condition. It was light green in colour.

“Oh, It’s so lovely to meet you, come in, come in! Thank you so much for coming!”

He stepped inside. He was carrying an old fashioned leather briefcase.

“Professor Merristoke has told me all about you,” he said with the hint of a smile, as if he had been forewarned.

“Oh, Jim, yes, fantastic bloke, we get on like a house on fire! Come in, come in Alan!”

Alan walked in and sat at the kitchen table.

“Jim’s told me all about you! All the amazing research you’re doing. What is it, again?”

“One of my main projects,” he said, straightening his tie “is to do with fundamental physics studying large-dimensional complex contour integrals.”

“How splendid!” said Liz, enthusiastically, “how marvellously interesting!”

He was about to say something.

“Will you have a cup of tea?”

“Oh, er, yes p.. please.”

“And Jim has told me all about you too!”

“Oh dear!”

“Ooh, you don’t need to worry, it was all good!”

“Did you come far today?” asked Liz.

“Oh no, just I live on Adlington Road.”

“Adlington Road, well that’s just up the lane then!  I do love your car, so much character!”

“Yes, It’s a Morris Minor. Made in the early 1950s.  I use it every day you know.”

“Well you’re always welcome to pop in any time if you fancy a cup of tea, dear, if you’re passing.”

“Well I am rather busy and spend most of my time at the university. Occasionally I have to go out to the Jodrell Bank centre to see research colleague.”

“I’ve said to Olivia I think she should go and visit Jodrell Bank, but she prefers to watch that programme with the professor, what’s his name again…?”

“Actually, I know him.” said Alan.

“You know him?! Wow, Olivia, he knows the professor, the one you like!” Liz shouted.