Ch 16 - Hidden Eyes

Now I am uploading the story more frequently, one or two chapters every day. They say stories need a 'baddie' and here, she is invisible. She has her eyes on Olivia's magical pendant. We get to meet her later in the story. And there's good news too. Olivia's dad is able to come home early. Things seem to be getting better... but are they?

Through the trees, the lights of the streets and the houses down on the plain were getting brighter, and there was a faint bluish mist that was turning to black.

“Goodness, what time is it?” said Olivia, looking at her phone. It was well after six. “Come on Jessie!”

The dog stood on all fours, and Olivia got up on her feet, still clinging to the pendant in her right hand, and holding the beautiful fresh, fragrant red rose in the other. The two made their way through the trees and bushes back to the footpath, and then on to the jeep.

Olivia drove down into the village. There was a free space in front of the florists, so she parked there. She turned to Jessie in the back, stroked the soft fur on her head and told her she wouldn’t be long. She took the rose with her into the shop, called the assistant, and asked her if she had any that were similar. The assistant pointed at some bunches, and Olivia picked out two red roses.

Olivia felt intense excitement and pleasure at being able to smell any flower in the shop without worrying about an allergic reaction, such as sneezing or swelling of the eyes. She sampled each one in turn, breathing in deeply each time.

Even the Stargazer lilies caused no reaction. She felt the deep satisfaction of a person who had been cured.

She paid for the two roses, returned to the jeep, placed all three flowers on the seat next to her and drove home.

When they arrived back, Liz was upstairs vacuuming the landing. Olivia found a glass vase from the kitchen cupboard and popped the three red roses into it.

Jessie got back into her basket and waited. She knew that Liz would come downstairs soon to feed her.

With a new sense of purpose and determination, Olivia bounded up the spiral staircase, into her bedroom and got out her schoolbooks.

Later in the evening, Liz went into the kitchen and noticed the vase with fresh roses.

“Ah, you bought some roses, how lovely!” she said

 “Yes, from the flower shop in the village,” said Olivia walking up to the window.

“And why three?”

“One for dad, one for me and one for you,” she said, pulling out the one Esther had brought back to life.

Liz took the rose and breathed in the scent.

“Mmm, they’re beautiful aren’t they? But what about your allergy?”

“Oh,” said Olivia looking away, “I don’t know, it seems to have gone.”

“I think you must have grown out of it, darling.”

“Yes, that’s right, I’ve grown out of it,” she replied, breathing a sigh of relief.

“We’ll need to keep them topped up with water,” said Liz, putting the rose back with the others. She arranged them nicely and put the vase carefully back on the window ledge.

“Oh,” said Liz, “Dad called before, there’s good news. He’s able to come back earlier than he thought. He’ll be back on Sunday. It seems the project is winding down now. He’ll need to fly out one more time before Easter, then he’s signed off and it’s all complete.”