Ch 26 - An Amicable Arrangement

He sat down on his chair again and looked at the cheque without making any facial expression. She started to write the initials of the library in the payee section.
“Madam, we have a supporters scheme, and I can gladly give you a copy of the leaflet.”
“Now how much shall we say?” said Liz, looking up, “Five hundred, just take the subscription out of that and keep the rest as a donation.”
He looked at the cheque book without expression and then at Liz.
“A thousand then!” she said.
She quickly wrote the amount with a flamboyant figure one and three large noughts, scribbled her signature and pushed the cheque across the desk to him.
He looked down at it, then at her, then at the cheque again and paused for a very long time.
“Would you mind waiting for a few moments, please.”
He walked slowly out of the office and up to the front desk where, in whispered tones, he exchanged words with a colleague. Liz looked over at Olivia and winked. Olivia took a deep breath and shook her head.
Then Liz leaned over to Olivia.
“If he still says no,” she whispered, “when I give you the signal, just start to cry out loud, you know, the waterworks, lots of sobbing!”
“Mum!” she said, “I am not going to make a spectacle of myself in front of a stranger.”
“Go on, Livvy, It’s worth a try, that’s how you’ve managed to get your dad to buy you things.”
“Mum, I am not going to pretend to cry!”
The Chief Librarian returned, closed the door behind him came back to sit at his desk.
“I have had a word with one of my colleagues and I believe I have a solution which takes into account your kind generosity and provides a means whereby your daughter may have access to the contents of the book.”
“Oh yes? Go on, tell us then! We’re all ears!”
 “I have spoken to one of our assistants and she would be happy to carry out a scan of the book, and provide you with an electronic copy, which we can e-mail to you some time next week.
“Oh no, no, no!” said Liz, shaking her head “No, she can’t wait that long! She needs it now, Vincent, can’t you see? She’s so keen, such a brilliant mind, how can you refuse to help her?”
“I did not wish to stand in the way of genuine academic research but I am terribly, terribly sorry, it is simply not possible. I think under the circumstances, it is better if I return your donation.”
He pushed the cheque across the desk towards Liz. She quickly pushed it back towards him again.
“Oh, don’t worry about that,” she said, “the cheque is for the library no matter what. I’m always happy to support education and learning!”
He brought his hands together, squeezed his fingers and continued to stare at her through his round spectacles.
“Oh, Vincent, is it not possible for us just to take the book for such a short time? Oh, go on! Jim will be so disappointed when I tell him. He’s never let me down.”
“Jim?”
“Professor Merristoke, Head of the Extra-Mural Department at the University. ”
Vincent looked at Liz, still without expression.
“Look,” said Liz, staring at him with big, persuasive eyes, “I promise to have it back here on Monday morning. We will take very good care of the book, won’t we Olivia?”
She nodded, looking to one side.
He thought long and hard.
“I am not sure in which countries you have done business, Mrs Yang, but in this country, we obey the rules. I am very sorry but it will not be possible for you to take this book out of the library.”
Liz closed her eyes and clenched her teeth and was about to nudge Olivia with her elbow to tell her to start to cry, but Olivia spoke first:
“Mum, I have an idea. Mr Snaith, Sir, would you mind if I made a copy of the pages of the book using the camera on my iPhone? I can do it now. It won’t take long and then I’d have it in time to hand in my project on Monday.”
He made no expression. His fingers were intertwined. His eyes looked straight ahead through his spectacles, and then upwards in deep thought. Finally his lips started to move:
“An excellent suggestion! Your daughter would certainly appear to be as keen and bright as you suggest.”
Liz and Olivia looked at each other and smiled.
“Now then,” he continued, “what is the situation as regards copyright? Well, copyright in a work subsists for 70 years after the death of its originator. In the case of Mr Jiang Wei, who died I believe in the year 875, I do not think we need to worry about that. The content of the book is in the public domain.”
For the first time, the hint of a smile came across his face.
“However, the book belongs to the library and so copies can only be made with permission of the library. As Chief Librarian I hereby give my permission for you to make an electronic copy the work. The copy is being made for legitimate academic purposes.”
“Oh, yes of course!” said Liz. Olivia nodded.
“You can complete the necessary paperwork later, I will give you the forms.”
“Thank you so much, Mr Snaith, I’m really grateful!” said Olivia, “Can we copy the book now?”
“Please go ahead! Do you need a lamp?” he asked
“No, we’ll just go to the window.”
They walked to the window, Olivia handed Liz the book and she held it up very carefully. “Hold it steady, Mum!” Liz did as Olivia said, holding it quite still.
Lifting the iPhone up, Olivia photographed the cover, then Liz opened the inside page, Olivia took a photo, and then all 21 double pages. In just a few minutes it was done, and Liz handed the book back to Olivia for her to hold one last time. She held it in her hands, carefully taking one last look at the pages, and smelling the paper. Finally she gave it back to the Chief Librarian.
He passed her the forms, which Liz filled in.
“I am glad we were able to come to an amicable arrangement on this matter,” he said, standing up, “and Olivia, I wish you the very best of luck with your studies. I sense you have a rare keenness and sharpness of mind. I believe you will achieve much in your life.” Olivia smiled and they both shook hands with him.
“Thank you so much, Vince!’ said Liz. His eyes narrowed ever so slightly.
“Yes, thanks. I’m really grateful to you,” said Olivia, still smiling sweetly after the compliment.
Liz and Olivia made their way out of the office, through the main hall, down the stairs, out the front entrance and onto the street.
“Oh dear, I got a bit carried away, there. That money was for buying clothes!”
“Sorry, Mum.”
“Ah well, it doesn’t matter. Your education, that’s what’s important! Shall we just go back to Chinatown?”
Olivia nodded. In Chinatown Liz went into one of the Chinese supermarkets to buy ingredients for their meal the next day. Olivia went into the novelty shop next to the Chinese arch and browsed the shelves. She saw all kinds of cute items, including miniature dragons, battery-operated cats with waving arms, flags, jade ornaments and a novelty one million pound note. She decided to buy it. It cost £2.50.
On the train home, Olivia gave the million pound note to her mum. She laughed and put it in her purse. 
“For a rainy day!” she said.
Thanks for reading, please 'Vote', next chapter online very shortly.