20:

The morning after Halloween Neville came down in a panic when he met Hermione in the common room; Asphodel hadn't returned all last night. Percy was nowhere in sight. They eventually went ahead to breakfast and likewise found it empty except the usual Ravenclaw students who seemed equally confused but mostly unconcerned as to why the Gryffindors were missing two of their usual number and none of the teachers were there.

      Percy still hadn't made an appearance by the time the Great Hall was filled and soon Lavender and Parvati were in a similar worried state. None of the other Gryffindors seemed to take note and the ones who did were sending pitying glances at the four first years. They weren't sure what to make of it, but none could work up the Gryffindor nerve and courage to ask. No news was supposed to be good news, right?

      The teachers entered somberly as a group, a very obvious bad sign, especially when one noticed that Dumbledore lacked his normal sparkle in his eyes. He rose slowly, tiredly, to his feet to address the waiting crowd. His wand rose casting a voice amplifying spell as a hush fell over the crowd of gathered students- most of which had come to realize something was wrong.

    He readied himself to speak, yet before he could utter a single word the doors banged open with even greater force than they had even the previous night. A figure strode into the room and it took Dumbledore a full moment to recover and another to recognize them. Magic writhed and unfurled angrily, darkly, around them in a way he'd seen few others besides himself ever do- that was the main clue. The exact shade of dark brown hair-much longer than when he had last seen it- was new, but those dark, stormy grey eyes filled with an unholy determination, and the confidence in the stride remained the same. The inhuman air about them had only gotten stronger and he wondered, in a horrified curiosity sort of way, what dark and forbidden rituals had been necessary to strip the very humanity from ones soul.

The plain, easy to move in style of dueling robes had not changed either, although the style was far more practical dueling style than traditional now. All the same the dark robes still snapped out behind them and wide sleeves, to allow movement and easy wand access, flowed. They approached at a furious pace and Dumbledore was content to wait. It would put the students at a distance and keep the wizard from blocking the door.

     They spoke first, not asking, but demanding. It was such a typical move for them. "Where are they."

"I'm afraid I don't know who you are referring to?" He let the steel in his voice show perhaps more than he normally would have, but he had never expected them to show up so suddenly here of all places, and with so many students in attendance too. He was not prepared for their return to be so soon. Perhaps it was a sign that this final battle would be coming to a close soon too. Just like Grindelwald before.  Just in time for the next Dark Lord to begin to rise up, he had been waiting for this moment for some time.

"Harry. Where is Harry."

"I'm afraid Harry has not stepped foot here, just as you should be unable to, Tom." Here Filius tried to cut in but he went ignored as crystal blue and stormy grey eyes met and Dumbledore continued over him as the darker haired drew themselves up like an angered cat, rage flashing in their eyes, wild and deadly, "I must ask how you managed to get through the wards."

"Do not call me that." Their voice was warped, almost a familiar hissing tone, "And do not lie to me."

"I'm afraid I must insist you answer how you of all creatures got in here. You are not welcome here." Here Filius and Minerva gasped as one and he heard Hagrid shift uncomfortably. They would surely understand once they knew who it was he addressed; Voldemort. This was no half-breed born with limitations, this was a human who had chosen to forsake their humanity.

The eyes flashed again and the words sounded less human than before when they spoke, "You dare-I. Was. Called. Here." A slim envelope was drawn from the inner robes and slammed onto the table, the actual act did little damage but the sheer force of the magic that surged and pressured behind the movement left a visible crack in the solid wood table and an audible ringing through the air.

In that moment Dumbeldore saw what was going on, he had not expected Voldemort to be so bold as to enter Hogwarts so soon nor had he foreseen them regaining their form this early so he had felt it acceptable given the circumstances to create a port key into the castle, as he did for magical parents when their student was harmed, and now here they were, and the Mr. and Mrs. Tiamat were doubtlessly dead if not worse. It was not a comforting thought, especially when he considered the reason for the letter.

      The poor boy would doubtlessly further be driven towards the dark, now alone and orphaned, especially so recently after a traumatic experience which had drawn out the dark urges inside of him. Dumbeldore could see where this would lead so clearly, but that was not what he had to focus on at the moment. It seemed, with Neville still so young and Harry missing it fell to him, again, to be the hero. Perhaps the prophecy spoke of another dark lord, it would be impossible to know for certain unless Tom were to go and pick up the Oracle sphere from the ministry himself.

     He stared imperiously down his glasses at them, his own magic beginning to rise, "I see you still believe you can claim things that aren't yours then." He'd known from the start, and that little box of other children's treasures Tom had had, was confirmation enough of his worst fears.

     They drew in a deep breath almost as if they were a dragon about to spew so much fire before they turned and left, their pace almost a run as they fled, taking the letter with them. Dumbeldore found himself letting out a surprised look at such an abrupt and unexpected retreat.

    He retreated possibly even quicker than they had though, once he felt them exit the wards, immediately heading to his office before any of the staff could stop him. He had many preparations to make and so little time. He thought he had more time before Lord Voldemort made his return, it was a blessing he had left with no bloodshed this time. There was no guarantee it would hold for next time.

  Harried as he felt, he still hurried to the infirmary when he received a call from Poppy. He had a duty to his students and this one was so close to following a dark path from which there is no return. But... perhaps he could have been wrong about their future after all, it would explain why the cycle had not yet completed. Maybe, this one he could save, without parents now they would be looking for someone else to look up to, and... maybe he would be able to fulfill that role and save them from the dark.  They were a Gryffindor after all, there had to have been something redeemable in them to get them sent there.

So hey, remember when I mentioned that there's a darker version of this book in like chapter 2?

     Well I've been working on that, and I think I've already mentioned it, but that's posted now if you're interested, this should be the last time I mention it here. Essentially it starts the same with the Sully's and a sudden animagus form, but they way he leaves them is different, so he never meets Silk and things change from there.

     Anyway, hope you enjoyed and see you next week,

-T.A.L.A.