29

So it's nearly been a month since I updated this book... yikes. Sorry for the wait, I got distracted with other stuff and the posted chapters caught up to where I was writing. -T.A.L.A. 

       The next few days were difficult, whether he had told Malfoy or not, he didn't think that it could get much more worse than this. People walked on eggshells around him, they whispered behind his back, and eyes followed wherever he went. 

      Defense was bad, a few mocking comments here and there though about being in the wrong class were painful, but he could tolerate it. At least his friends were there at his side when it came to partner activities; he rotated between partnering with Neville and Lavender as they struggled with the spells, while Hermione and Parvati were just behind him in talent. The two were competing along with Malfoy and Nott for the spot of the next highest spot in their class, each having their strengths and weaknesses which kept them a good contender in the four way tie.

The worse class of all though had become herbology, without any doubt. In part, simply because they were around a lot of dangerous yet delicate plants and some people took full advantage of that. A shove here alongside a flat out lie and they were blamed for some bent leaves and a snapped off flower. Neville looked like he was going to cry when Professor Sprout scolded them for not being more careful.  Harry felt himself close to a gut turning anger he hadn't felt before when Neville did cry later that night when he thought no one was listening.

     Beside the few cases like that which they all carefully became able to take note of sooner rather than later, dirt could safely be accidentally tossed over at them, although only one student really took much interest in that and other small subterfuge could be put into play. They ended up digging with their hands once in the soul when all the trowels were somehow taken before them.

      He hadn't expected it, but the Ravenclaws could be surprisingly vicious when it came to their actions. 

It was difficult to grin and bear it, but they did. Because they were in this together, and they had refuge. At the end of the day they would all collapse inside the room or requirement.  It was a safe spot. Even then though it was difficult to feel much happiness.

The rumors and gossip went on and on, each and every single word they said digging into him like a red hot knife. It hurt even more since he could see the others flinching and curling within themselves at every word they heard as well.

The worst part of it though, was that it effected his friends too. Hermione and Lavender were up in arms, Lavender and Parvati were attempting to control the gossip but being unable to with such an official source as this 'Rita Skeeter' fueling the rumors of their opposition there wasn't much the two girls could do.

Parvati grew more and more quiet by the day, falling into a pained quiet with each scornful stare and every speculating comment made within earshot. Her sister had distanced themselves from Parvati and Parkinson, a Slytherin girl which Harry didn't really know well, but who Parvati spoke with occasional and had introduced him to as a family friend. Parkinson, like most of the Slytherins now that dark arts and criminal activity had been brought into question, was striking a careful balance between being polite and not showing themselves as being too close to the group- mostly Parkinson spoke with Parvati out of sight from public and briefly.

The pressure seemed to build, going on and on, wearing on the group as the days went by. They watched their back against Weasley and his friends who were throughly convinced that he was a rising new dark lord with Merlin's power. The red head loudly shouted out to anyone who would listen or keep quiet long enough for him to speak. Weasley and Finnegan had quickly stood up to add in their own commentary, or so he had later been told, on the day where he had fled from the dining hall, but he hadn't heard any or it then as he had been too distracted with the contents of the paper at the time.

       He had heard what they had to say many times since then.

It was all the same nonsense that everybody else was shouting at him, except they had the unfortunate insider knowledge that he and Neville didn't always return to the dorm by the time they were asleep, and so claimed instead to everyone who would listen that the two had to be out doing dark rituals.

And so tension grew in Gryffindor, Harry and his friends might make up the majority of first year Gryffindor, but excluding the twins, most of Gryffindor sided with Weasley on this, treating the group coldly ever since werewolves were brought into the conversation and avoiding him, Percy had started even before though. Awkwardly avoiding him and staring when he thought Harry wouldn't notice ever since Harry's animagus form had been revealed. It hurt a little.

Asphodel wanted to say something, anything, but at the same time it wasn't the only issue they had and Professor Quirrell's eyes watching him during class made him want to turn and flee. Truth be told, the isolation and mistreatment from the other students was bad enough to ruin the week for him, but Quirrell and whatever secret they had was what really scared him.