Chapter 6 - Calling in Sick

The sun was just about to set in Inkopolis after a long day of Turf Wars and spending time with friends. Plum told Moray that he wanted to show her how beautiful the sunset really looked up at his spot in Mount Nantai. At this point, that spot became a little place where they could both spend some time with each other uninterrupted unless they find another bizarre Inkling or a very disgruntled salmonid. Either way, Moray almost immediately accepted to see the sunset with him but promised she would bring drinks, which meant she would take a bit longer because of the unusually long line at the Crust Bucket.

Moray eventually got Plum's Guava and her own Tomato drinks and hurried up to Mount Nantai. She began to get used to the path, now that she realized how important the clearing at the top was for someone like Plum. She did hear supposed rumors of glass-shattering screeches being heard at night up there, but she did not necessarily believe in those rumors completely. If Plum never mentioned any of that since the first day he showed her the spot, why would she? As Moray walked through the thick forest and got near the clearing, she began to hear a voice; Plum's voice. She began to close in on him slowly so as to not be noticed, and as she got close enough, she realized Plum was singing a song to himself. She could see him as she was hiding behind a tree. As he continued, she decided to listen a bit closer to the words he was singing.

♪ Beaten down towards the pavement.
Feeling wronged, just like enslavement.
I have shed many tears
As my despair draws nearer.

Must I suffer any longer?
Feeling hopeless;
Feeling useless.

I must find a way to escape,
From this chamber;
From this torture!

Hopes are shattered;
Wisdom tattered;
I once mattered;
Help is scattered.

Wishes denied;
Needs set aside;
I need to hide;
Angels have died.

Please hear my cry so I know why I need to be open-minded.
This poor Hybrid needs the hand that feeds before he comes divided! ♪

Plum slowly faded his voice to a stop as he looked at the sun about to set, then sighed. Awed, Moray smiled as she finally walked towards him.
"You know, when I heard of an ear-splitting screech heard from Mount Nantai at night, I didn't think it'd be you.", Moray pointed out, surprising Plum a bit, but he didn't seem to mind. He merely frowned at the last part.
"Ouch?", he muttered as Moray laughed, then handed over his drink.
"I'm kidding! You sing really well. Probably better than what I would do.", she remarked as Plum chuckled.
"Oh, don't belittle yourself.", Plum said, trying to get her to have more confidence in her own abilities.
"No, that's not it, I sing decently. You're just leagues above me!", Moray exclaimed, making Plum laugh as they both watched the open space.

"So, what was that song? I've never heard it before.", asked Moray, filled with curiosity.
"It's a song I wrote. That's what almost a year's worth of Off The Hook keeping you company will do.", he answered as a joke, but Moray's eyes widened.
"So you're practically friends with Marina and Pearl?", Moray asked again as Plum shrugged.
"You could say that.", Plum replied. "I wrote that song at a really dark time in my life. I can't honestly thank those two enough for all their help with bringing me out of it.", he added with a proud smile. Moray stayed a bit silent. The conversation got a bit more personal.
"Mind if I ask what happened?", she wondered.

Plum looked over at Moray and chuckled a bit.
"Maybe for another day.", Plum teased Moray as she whined.
"Come on, you got me curious!", Moray insisted as Plum laughed.
"Alright, alright!", he exclaimed as he took a deep breath, showing Moray that he didn't tell this story too often. "Most of my childhood has been either in a test tube in a lab or hooked up to some kind of machine. I couldn't even see my mom for most of that time. But despite that, I still fantasized so much about playing Turf Wars. It looked so entertaining for me, I could spend hours talking about it, and my dad, and eventually my mom, would listen to me all the way.", he explained. "When I turned 15, my parents got me the most wonderful gift I could've asked for: a chance so I could finally play the sport I dreamed of so much, and along came the very weapon I still use to this day.", he added as he placed his hand on his Hydra Splatling next to him.