XXXVI. Conscience

Among the assembly of shocked and grave expressions, Gregor's attention was solely on the trembling form of Dalia—a young servant he had met during his first visit and whose job he had not entirely understood. All he knew was that it related to taking care of Stellovet. For one moment, he wondered if the Overland equivalent could be "babysitter", but Stellovet was . . . what, fifteen? Too old to need anything like a babysitter, anyway.

Gregor inspected Dalia closer and restrained the urge to stand up and ask the guards to release her. They held her so tightly that they nearly lifted her off the floor. But if he did, they would hardly listen to him. He looked over at Luxa to ascertain whether she had similar thoughts, but she remained impassive.

And the trip had started so well, Gregor thought, suppressing a sigh. At least he had left Boots with his mom in Regalia.

It had meant to be only a day trip to the Fount; Luxa had wanted to take him to see something she called "The Cascades"—whatever that was—and Gregor thought longingly about yesterday. They had meant to begin their trip first thing in the morning, yet their preparations had been thwarted by the ring of the alarm bell. York had turned down Luxa's proposal to return to Regalia earlier than planned, ordering the two of them to remain in the keep without explaining what the emergency actually was. Before that bell, all had been well.

Then, Gregor's gaze, just like the entire assembly's, was drawn to the entrance when two newcomers stood in the frame. His eyes widened when he recognized who it was.

"What a fine mess," said the Death Rider, but he did not sound lighthearted.

"Apologies, we did not mean to be late," added Thanatos, fluttering in behind his bond and settling on the far side. The outcast strolled into the room, taking in York and Susannah, Howard, and finally Luxa and Gregor, before his eye fixed on the restrained Dalia.

Gregor watched the Death Rider find a spot on Luxa's other side and, as glad as he was to see him again, his apprehension of this meeting's purpose rose at his sight. What could possibly have prompted them to call him here too?

"There you are at last. Now that we have all assembled, let us reiterate," York said into Gregor's thoughts, scrutinizing the Death Rider with a raised eyebrow, presumably for being late.

Dalia's head shot up as well; she looked at Gregor and Luxa, then at York's and Susannah's family, and finally at the Death Rider.

"Speak, for Sandwich's sake! We have waited long enough," York screamed when she did not instantly respond, and Gregor jumped together with Dalia.

"They . . . came out of nowhere," she finally began. "They were . . . were three gnawers, and they had us surrounded in moments. Tristan and Orin—I mean, the guards you sent with us—were killed at once."

Gregor fidgeted in his seat; no one had yet explained to him why his presence here was required. The alarm bell had not rung since yesterday morning, yet neither he nor Luxa had been permitted to even leave their quarters since. Gregor hoped that finally being summoned would at least amount to some answers.

Had the delay to do with the fact that the Death Rider and Thanatos were here with them? If they were needed, Gregor thought it would have taken some time to alert them.

Before he could get lost in his thoughts again, Dalia continued: "Trust me when I say that your daughter fought with all her might, but they took her away." Her voice cracked. "I could not . . ."

"Oh, by all that is dear to us, release her!" Howard jumped up from his seat without warning and instructed the guards to let go of Dalia's arms. Gregor inadvertently breathed out in relief. "She is not to blame for this. She had no means of preventing it."