XXVIII. Turning Back

The first thing that struck Thanatos when he woke was the emptiness of his embrace. Startled, he rose and found Kismet standing at the entrance of the tunnel. He opened his mouth to speak, but she beat him to it: "Whatever happened yesterday, you must fly after him at once."

"After . . ." Still in a daze, Thanatos scrambled up, anticipating to see Henry filling his water bags in the corner. Startled, he jumped when Kismet dropped a ripped page from Henry's notebook in front of him.

"You must fly now," she urged. "Before it is too late. No matter whom he is pursuing, he cannot do this with his injury, and not without his sword either. You left it in the arena, no?"

Thanatos nodded absent-mindedly. Only when he finally lowered his gaze to the page and processed the words did the truth strike his chest like a rock.

I know that I promised to stay. Forgive me.

But he must be dealt with.

In his mind was worry—so much of it that it bordered on panic. But it was all overshadowed by the memory of his own words, uttered yesterday, when . . . Tomorrow, wouldn't you like to . . . fly?

"He said that we may fly," he mumbled. "We . . ." Thanatos cut himself off, shaking the disappointment. Now was not the time for him to feel sorry for himself. It was the time to . . .

"Halt!" called Kismet when he had already slipped out of the cave. "Have you a clue as to where he is headed? Whom he means to deal with? I lost his scent near the lake."

Thanatos paused, allowing the truth to sink in. "Longclaw," he mumbled. "I told him . . . Yesterday, I told him that we are ancient enemies, and he suggested that we may—"

"Oh no."

"I told him that I seek no vengeance!" cried Thanatos. "I told him that I seek no more bloodshed! Why would he go against my words? What does he . . . he seek to prove this time?"

"I cannot say." Kismet caught up to him. "You must find him and ask him yourself. Oh, this pup!" she shook her head. "I still barely comprehend that he is such an intelligent, capable individual in most senses, and yet at the same time such a fool!"

"Your capability to describe others is as faultless as ever."

"Thankfully." She eyed him up and down.

"Will you come with me?" asked Thanatos before she could continue. "We haven't much time."

Kismet hesitated. "I cannot," she said eventually, averting her gaze. "Not into a hunt for Longclaw. Let's just say that you are not the only one who has a history with him. It would be unfortunate if he learned that I am alive."

"If you are familiars, would he not have smelled you?"

"Not after such a long time," she said. "Not after so much . . . change." She looked at him in a way that signified she had meant to use a different word. "Scents shift and merge with one's self. After all this time, there will hardly be a single individual who would recognize mine anymore."

"Henry and I always will."

Kismet snorted. "Neither humans nor fliers possess an exceptional sense of smell."

"You know very well that I did not mean it in that sense."

Kismet scrutinized him through her raised vision aid. "I understand that this advice may seem hypocritical, but I encourage you to try not to rely so heavily on your tough, unapproachable facade. Unconditional kindness is a rarity in this world, something that so many are starved of. And you have so much kindness to give."