Chapter 9

Ellie's P.O.V

The next morning I woke up alone, still curled up in the mess of thick blankets and fluffy pillows. I sat up and looked around to see Mason was no where in sight. I was still slightly weak from being sick but my stomach didn't hurt anymore which was a plus. So slowly I crawled out of bed and made my way to the bedroom door to try and look for Mason. I wouldn't get in trouble for just walking around to find him...right? I decided to take the risk anyway.

Entering the dining room I could see Mason in the kitchen, facing the stove as he was making something and his back was turned to me. I could hear the sounds of popping and sizzling as a light scent of freshly cooked food wafted into the open air. Quietly I shuffled my way over and stood next to the edge of the counter.

"Hi..." I say softly, worrying that I said it too quietly.

He seemed to have heard me, looking over his shoulder and smiling at me, "Good morning princess."

My cheeks heated up out of my control from the nickname, "Morning."

"Are you felling better today?"

I nodded and tucked my hair behind my ear, "A little."

"Good." He turned back to the stove, poking the food around in the pan, "I'm making eggs, your stomach should be able to handle it."

"Okay."

While he cooked I took the time to wander around the apartment a little bit. I didn't dare touch anything or go up to the windows since Mason was keeping his eye on me from a few feet away. Instead I looked at pictures that were propped up on shelves, pictures of Mason and his parents when he was little. His brown hair swept over his eyes as he still had the biggest grin on his face. It was so hard to think that the little boy was capable of taking the life from someone and trapping another.

Without thinking of where I was going I wandered off a little too far until I was standing in the small entrance hall where the front door was. The door is right there, all the locks and handle were just a touch away from being free. So I stepped in front of it, my brain screaming to run now while I had the chance. But my heart on the other hand told me to stay. That as long I was good and stayed with Mason I'll never be alone again.

My hand still reached out and turned the lock, twisting the doorknob so the door opened just a crack. Light came in through the small opening as well as the sounds of cars and people down below. It was just so easy...just step through and run, but I was conflicted.

Eventually I took a breath and went to shut the door again but a hand came out over my shoulder, pushing the door shut for me and turning the lock. My breathing hitched and my heart started racing as I felt body heat against my back and a breath over my ear.

"What do you think you're doing?" Mason whispered into my ear.

My hands started to tremble as I brought them closer to me, "I-I was just-"

He flipped me around and trapped me against the door, his hands on either side of my head, "Escaping?"

"No! I wasn't-"

"Even if you did escape, where would you go?"

I just stared at him, my palms on top of the cold door as I pressed myself against it to stay as far away as I could from Mason.

His eyes stared into mine, full of anger, "You can't go to your parents, you don't have friends any more, and your sister is dead. All you have left it me."

Hearing this I knew he was right. I had no one else to turn to but my anger still bubbled up within my chest as he mentioned Leah and my friends. I knew Leah was a terrible person but she was my family and everything I had left. Mason shouldn't have been the one to make that choice of when she was supposed to leave. And I knew that Jaxson and Sophia weren't my best of friends but at least I had them. That was more then I could ever ask for and he was the reason they avoided me.