xxvi. electricity

Start from the beginning

"What? Coach, that doesn't make sense." Stiles shakes his head.

"Oh, well, it does to me!" Coach snaps. The trio glance between one another as Coach walks away.

"There." Sabrina points when she sees Scott and Isaac.

"We didn't find anything." Aiden tells the trio as they reach the wolves.

"Not even a scent." Scott adds.

"It's 3:00, so school's over. If there was a bomb, wouldn't he have set it off by now?" Stiles exclaims.

"Does that mean everybody's safe?" Aiden questions.

"I don't know." Lydia sighs as they all turn towards her. "I just I don't know."

-

"What do the different colored strings mean?" Lydia questions as the twins watch Stiles mess with his detective board.

"Oh, just different stages of the investigation. So green is solved, yellow is to be determined, blue's just pretty." Stiles explains, glancing back to the two girls lying on his bed.

"What does red mean?" Lydia continues.

"It means unsolved." Sabrina speaks up.

"You only have red on the board." Lydia states, keeping her eyes trained on the board.

"Yes, I'm aware. Thank you." Stiles mumbles, rolling his eyes.

Lydia sighs, changing topics. "Did you get detention for pulling the alarm?"

"Yep. Every day this week. It's okay, though. We were onto something." Stiles tells them.

"Even though we couldn't find any proof of Barrow being there?" Lydia questions.

"Lyds." Sabrina speaks up. "You've been right every time something like this has happened, okay? So don't start doubting yourself now."

"No scent. No bomb." Lydia states, turning to Stiles. "And I got you in trouble."

"Okay, look. Barrow was there. All right? You knew it. You felt it. Okay? And look, if you wanted to, I'd go back to that school right now and search all night just to prove it." Lydia smiles at Stiles sweet words, but it seems like Stiles had realized something himself. "Get up. Get up now. We're going to the school."

-

"So what are we looking for?" Sabrina questions as they walk into a dark chemistry classroom.

"That was supposed to be locked." Lydia mumbles when Stiles opens the chemical room door.

"Yeah. I know. Notice anything else?" Stiles glances towards the girls.

"It smells like chemicals." Sabrina quips, but she soon realizes what Stiles was talking about. "They wouldn't have been able to catch his scent."

"He was here, performing very minor surgery on himself. You were right, Lydia." Stiles exclaims when he finds blood on the floor.

"Then why don't I feel good about this?" Lydia mumbles.

"Probably because he was here to kill somebody." Stiles remarks.

"But who?" Sabrina speaks up.

"That's what we gotta figure out. We could spread out, start looking for anything." Stiles tells them as they walk out of the chemical room. "Lydia, what are those?"

"Atomic numbers." Lydia explains as they glance at the chalk board.

"Is it a formula?" Stiles questions.

"Not really. 19's potassium. The first two make potassium iodide." Sabrina exclaims.

"Potassium is K?" Stiles squints his eyes as he watches Sabrina add on to the formula.

"From kalium, the scientific neo-Latin name." Lydia chimes in.

"What's radium?" Stiles questions.

"R-a." Sabrina tells him as she writes it on the chalk board. As Sabrina puts down the piece of chalk her eyes widen at what was spelled out on the board. With all the numbers and their letters written out it spelled Kira.

"Kira?" Stiles whispers.

-

"Scott." Sabrina yells run they see the boy lying on the sidewalk, blood running down the side of his head.

"Scott." Stiles tries, shaking Scott. Scott wakes with a gasp, quickly sitting up as he takes in his surroundings.

"Barrow, he took Kira!" Scott tells them urgently.

"We know. He was after her the whole time." Stiles shakes his head.

"We have to think of something. He's going to kill her." Scott exclaims after getting off the phone with Isaac.

"I knew he was there. How did I know that?" Lydia questions.

"Because you heard the flies, right?" Stiles confirms.

"What do you hear now?" Sabrina questions, glancing towards her sister.

"Nothing. I feel like I can do this. But I don't know what to do. It's like it's on the tip of my tongue, and I don't know how to trigger it. I just I swear to God, it literally makes me want to scream." Lydia tells them.

"Okay, then scream." Stiles begins. "Lydia, scream." Seconds later Lydia lets out a blood curling scream, so loud that Sabrina has to cover her ears.

"It's not flies. It's electricity." Lydia states.

"Wait a second, Barrow was an electrical engineer. He worked at a power substation." Stiles exclaims.

"What substation?" Scott questions.