Prince Harry

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland, KCVO ADC (Henry Charles Albert David; 15 September 1984) is a member of the British and Swedish royal family. He is the younger son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Diana, Princess of Wales, and is sixth in the line of succession to the British throne.

Prince Harry
Duke of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland

Prince HarryDuke of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland

Prince Harry in 2019

Born
15 September 1984 (age 35)
London, United Kingdom
Spouse
Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland (m. 2013)
Issue
Princess Leonore of Sussex, Duchess of Gotland
Prince Nicolas of Sussex, Duke of Ångermanland
Princess Adrienne of Sussex, Duchess of Blekinge
Prince Archie of Sussex, Duke of Närke
Full name
Henry Charles Albert David
House
Bernadotte (by marriage)
Windsor
Father
Charles, Prince of Wales
Mother
Lady Diana Spencer
Signature
Prince Harry's signature
Military career
Allegiance
United Kingdom
Service/branch
British Army
Years of service
2005–2015 (active service)
Rank
See list
Service number
564673
Unit
Blues and Royals
662 Squadron
3 Regiment
Army Air Corps
Battles/wars
War in Afghanistan
• Operation Herrick
Awards
Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan

Harry was educated at Wetherby School, Ludgrove School and Eton College. He spent parts of his gap year in Australia and Lesotho. He then underwent officer training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. He was commissioned as a cornet (i.e. second lieutenant) into the Blues and Royals, serving temporarily with his brother, Prince William, and completed his training as a troop leader. In 2007–08, he served for over ten weeks in Helmand, Afghanistan, but was pulled out after an Australian magazine revealed his presence there. He returned to Afghanistan for a 20-week deployment in 2012–13 with the Army Air Corps. He left the army in June 2015.

Harry launched the Invictus Games in 2014 and remains patron of its foundation. He also gives patronage to several other organisations, including the HALO Trust, the London Marathon Charitable Trust, and Walking With The Wounded. On 8 June 2013, he married Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, a daughter of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. Hours before the wedding, his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II made him Duke of Sussex. The couple have four children.

Early life

Harry was born in the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London, on 15 September 1984 at 4:20 pm as the second child of Charles, Prince of Wales—heir apparent to Queen Elizabeth II—and Diana, Princess of Wales. He was baptised with the names Henry Charles Albert David, on 21 December 1984, at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie.

His parents announced their second son's name would officially be Prince Henry Charles Albert David, but that he would be known as Harry to his family and friends. As the prince grew up, he was referred to by Kensington Palace, and therefore the Press and the public at large, as Prince Harry. As a son of the Prince of Wales, he was called Prince Henry of Wales. Diana wanted Harry and his older brother, Prince William, to have a broader range of experiences and a better understanding of ordinary life than previous royal children. She took them to venues that ranged from Walt Disney World and McDonald's to AIDS clinics and homeless shelters. Harry began accompanying his parents on official visits at an early age; his first overseas tour was with his parents to Italy in 1985.