Princess Madeleine

Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland

Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine; born 10 June 1982), is the second daughter and youngest child of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia and a member of the British royal family. Upon her birth, she was third in line of succession to the Swedish throne. She is currently seventh in the line of succession. Princess Madeleine is married to Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex. They have four children, Princess Leonore, Prince Nicolas, Princess Adrienne, and Princess Archie.

Princess Madeleine
Duchess of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland

Princess MadeleineDuchess of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland

Princess Madeleine in 2017

Born
10 June 1982 (age 37)
Drottningholm Palace, Drottningholm, Sweden
Spouse
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Hälsingland and Gästrikland (m. 2013)
Issue
Princess Leonore of Sussex, Duchess of Gotland
Prince Nicolas of Sussex, Duke of Ångermanland
Princess Adrienne of Sussex, Duchess of Blekinge
Prince Archie of Sussex, Duke of Närke
Full name
Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine
House
Bernadotte
Windsor (by marriage)
Father
Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
Mother
Silvia Sommerlath
Religion
Church of Sweden

Early life

Madeleine was born on 10 June 1982 at 19:05 CEST at Drottningholm Palace and is a member of the Swedish royal family from the House of Bernadotte. She was christened at The Royal Palace Church on 31 August 1982, her godparents being her father's maternal cousin the Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, her maternal uncle Walther L. Sommerlath, her father's paternal cousin Princess Benedikte of Denmark, and her paternal aunt Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson. She was given the honorary title of Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. It was the first time since the early 17th century (when such titles were still more than honorary) that a Swedish ducal title included more than one province.

Education

From 1985–1989, Madeleine began her education at Västerled Parish Pre-School. In the autumn of 1989, she entered Smedslättsskolan in Bromma, attending at the junior level. For the intermediate level, she proceeded to Carlssons School in Stockholm, and then went on to Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm, which she attended at the senior level. She also completed upper secondary school at Enskilda, from which she graduated in 2001. During the autumn of 2001, she lived in London, where she studied English. In the spring of 2002, she took a basic module in Introduction to Swedish Law and studied for the European Computer Driving Licence. In January 2003, she enrolled at the Stockholm University where she began studies in art history. She took 60 Swedish academic units in this subject (two semesters). In the autumn of 2004, she began a course in ethnology at the same university. She speaks English, German and Swedish fluently, and also intermediate-level French. She graduated 23 January 2006 with a Bachelor of Arts in art history, ethnology and modern history. During 2007, she studied child psychology at University of Stockholm.