7

The bell rings to signal the end of the day.

I go over to Maya.

"Right," she says briskly, you can just follow me back to house."

This is the first time we have talked all day because she seems to be avoiding me ( although I would be lying if I said I don't avoid her too.) The silence that stretches between us as we walk back is the size of an ocean and I am almost thankful when we reach her house.

Maya unlocks the door. Her house is quite fancy, and velvety looking carpet covers the stairs which Maya has dirtied with her boots as she rushes upstairs. I follow her.

She collapses onto her bed, and I take a seat on the armchair at the edge of the room.

"So...." I say, "Are you gonna tell me what all that wierd stuff was about in art yesterday?"

"You know what they're about, just give it up, I'm a Morsten too," she says, a hint of annoyance creeping into her voice.

"I actually have no idea what you are on about."

"Well," she sighs, " You know those skulls you have been seeing, they are a Sign, a sign to predict death, more specifically."

"Are you actually being serious?" I ask. I mean how can she be, you can't predict death. Can you?

"I'm serious. So can you think of somebody who is usually there when you see the Signs, who likes skulls?"

"Ruby," is the immediate answer.

"Yes, the skull signifies Ruby, and the number underneath tells us how many days she has too live."

"W-W-What?" I stutter, Ruby can't die, she's been my best friend since primary school she can't just... go.

Just then my phone vibrates. I pull it out my pocket and see it's a call from Ruby, I decline the call, because I'm not in the mood and also, because her picture has changed to a skull, with the number 7 underneath it. I show Maya.

"From today Ruby has 7 days to live."

"But Ruby can't die!" I cry.

"The signs don't lie Saiko,"says Maya gravely.

"But, But," I sob, "No...."

"Maybe you should go home," suggests Maya, handing me a tissue.

I stand up, and wiping my eyes, head to the door.

"Call me later."