8

Me, Ruby and Maya go out for lunch together today. Will doesn't cone with us because he has football club today.

We all go down to Midnight and order the same as yesterday.

"Let's go through the park today," suggests Ruby.

" Yeah, Will 's not here today, so we don't have to go some where he can skate," I say.

Most parks you can skateboard in, but not this one. It's not a stunt park, with kiddy playgrounds and stuff, It's more of a nature one, with an artificial lake in the middle. You're not aloud to skate or cycle because it might disturb the ducks, so when Will isn't with us we always go this way. We walk over to our usual bench at the edge of the lake. It's just an old wooden bench, with a plaque on it, commemorating some local hero. Except today the plaque has a the number 8 on it, with the same skull from the tunnel and the chip box.

"Look there's the skull again," I say to Ruby, "and don't pretend you can't see it again, it's right-"

Maya kicks my leg and looks at me as if to silence me.

"What did-" I start before she kicks me again. It's not a big kick, just enough for her to have my attention. What's it for though, what did I do? She stares at me when Ruby says, "There's nothing there, basketcase, give up the joke."

"Fine," I say, not even knowing what I am saying.

Suddenly Maya starts singing, "Am I just one of those melodramatic fools, neurotic to the bone no doubt about it!"

"Omg, you like Green Day too!?" chorus me and Ruby.

"Of course, they are, like, the best band ever!" says Maya.

We all sing Green Day songs (including but not limited to American Idiot, 21 guns and Boulevard of Broken Dreams) on the way back to school, and just finish Static Age before the bell rings.

"Crap, I have RME now," groans Ruby.

"Ha, me and Maya have art," I say, "See you later!"

Maya doesn't talk much as we walk to art but when we get there it all just pours out.

"What the hell was all that about, you don't just tell everyone about the Signs, if mortals know, it will effect time, and they will probably get stuck in the middle, she's gonna die, you can't tell her, you're acting like it a first timer," rushes Maya in a whispered voice.

"What are you on about?" I say, "I think you are the only basketcase around here."

"Look, come to my house tomorrow, I live on Donald Street."