I pushed wet hair from my face. Harry laughed and splashed me again. Cries for him to stop only led to him slinging an arm over my waist and pushing my head under the water.

"Stop!" My cheeks hurt so bad from laughing. I hadn't had this quite of a good laugh for a while.

Harry swam up to me, putting his arms around my waist. "You know I love you, right?" Tucking a strand of my wet hair behind my ear, he held my chin, looking at me with sincerity. "I might not show it, but you mean a lot to me."

I held my breath, unaccustomed to such displays of affection from Harry.

"You get me through it all," he whispered.

I caressed his face and then kissed him.

The following day, en route to the school football game, I closed the garage door behind me and made my way to the car, where Dad patiently waited in the car. Cherry, who was standing on the second floor of her house, looked down at us through her window. I waved at her with my hand raised. She gave me a look before closing the drapes.

"Want the radio on? Or do you still have a headache?" Dad asked, considering my week-long migraine.

"I'm feeling better now. Go ahead."

"Have anything in mind?" Dad reached out to fiddle with some buttons.

"Anything, just not The Beatles."

"Can't go wrong with a little Johnny Cash," Dad said, glancing my way with a grin, when he switched the radio to another song.

We got to school and already I saw a huge crowd gathering in the field. The whole of Belle Haven was here.

"Holly Dae coming too?" Dad asked me as we got out the car.

"Yeah, and Harry is." I stood on my tiptoes and tried to search for Harry through the crowd of people.

Dad's eyebrows shot up. "Harry. Hmm."

There was a tight feeling in my chest. "Yeah. Harry."

Students were decked out in our school colors — which were red and blue. My nails had chipped red nail polish on it a few days ago, that would have to do for now. Sport was after all, a part of the school spirit. Our mascot's a devil. I thought it was fitting for our school.

Harry was getting snacks when I found him. I kissed his cheek, but he only raised a brow at me. "C'mon, let's go. My friends are pissed at me for coming late, and it's all your fault."

I clamped my mouth shut and trudged after him in the wet grass.

"It's freezing," I said as we settled down on the bleachers.

"Mm." Harry was staring at the cheerleaders.

"You cold, kiddo?" Football season was always a chilly time, so Dad remembered to get a blanket. He draped it over both of us, and I smiled, snuggling closer to him.

Surveying the field, the bleachers overflowed with parents and kids, their cheers and encouragements blending into a spirited cacophony. At the base of the bleachers sat Carson and his father. Carson, sporting a beanie and a furry denim jacket, seemed to sense my gaze. He tilted his head, and moments later, our eyes met. A polite smile curved the corners of his lips, and I returned the gesture.