6

"So, Steve is your boyfriend." I stated as we walk the streets of New York City.

She laughed awkwardly and couldn't even look at me in the eyes. She's been like that for the whole night. I understand her though.

If I'm in her position I couldn't look at me too.

"I'm sorry about that. I just.. I just don't want him to see me like a loser and pitiful. I don't want him to know how much it hurts me. So, I invented this boyfriend named Steve." She explained.

Pain is so visible in her voice I just want to hug her right now and tell her it'll all go away and she'll be happy too. But I can't do it.

I'm not her boyfriend. I'm not even her friend. I'm just a stranger that pretended to be her boyfriend. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Thank you for what you did, by the way. For not blabbing about my lies." She said shyly. I laughed to show her that it's okay and it's no big deal even if it really breaks my heart to see her like this.

"Don't sweat it." I simply said and just continued walking silently. It's not awkward though. It's peaceful.

Despite the sirens, our little walk is peaceful.

It saddens me to know that this may be the last time I get to be this close with her. That this may be the last time I get to see her.

But what can I do?

I am just a nobody to her even though she's everything to me.

"This is me. Umm.. Thank you again. Good night." She said before going inside her apartment.

Not like last time, she didn't kiss me on the cheek. She just bid goodbye and left.

I guess that's it. Despite the pain of seeing you leave, Elaina Summers. I managed to smile while looking at your door.

"Thank you for letting me be with you even just for a couple of hours. Thank you, Elaina Summers."

I didn't go home after that. I went to the office. Hoping that she's still there.

And I was right. She's still here.

"Hey boss." I greeted. She just ignored me and kept on drafting. I'm used to it. She's always like that but I know she cares. That's why she's my best friend.

"How's it going with Ms. Elaina Summers?" She asked without looking at me. I just looked at her.

I don't know why but I couldn't tell her.. The next thing I know, tears suddenly fall down my cheeks. I only realized it fell when I felt her warm embrace.

I just broke down. My heart hurts so much..

I know it'll look like I'm weak to let someone else see me cry but I couldn't contain it. It just hurts..

The reason why I broke down just now is because this is Madeline. I know I can cry, scream and jump around without her judging me. She's my best friend.

I just cried while she hugs me and caressed my back. Thankfully I finally calmed down after a few minutes.

"Let's go home?" She asked with a comforting smile. I just nodded and followed her to the elevator.

She didn't ask. She just held my hand like she's saying that she's here for me and it'll be okay.

Even when we're in the cab. She still held my hand. It gives me comfort somehow.

When we reached our apartment building she still didn't let go of my hand. And I'm glad. I'm glad that I have her.

When we reached my floor she smiled at me and hugged me before letting go of my hand.

"Thank you, Maddie. For being here.." I said with a reassuring smile to let her know that I'm better now.

A classic Maddie way, instead of just smiling she rolled her eyes before laughing. "Good. Don't you dare cry again. My shoulder is wet because of you." She joked.

"Anyways, I'll be upstairs if you need someone to insult you or your lovey. Byeeee!" I laughed at her last comment before walking in the direction of my apartment.

It still hurts. Of course it does.. But thanks to Maddie I felt a lot better.

I guess that's friendship. Despite how stupid and broken you are, your friend will still be there for you. They won't judge. They'll just be there to make you feel like you again.

When my phone buzzed I immediately looked at it wishing and hoping that it's Elaine. To my disappointment it's not.

But even if it's not her, I'm thankful because it's her. My best friend..

From: Maddie Parker
Don't be a dumbass next time or I'll punch you in the face. Lol. I'm here for you, weirdo. Always.