The Art of Courting- Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Nights in white satin, never reaching the end,
Letters I've written, never meaning to send.
Beauty I've always missed, with these eyes before.
Just what the truth is, I can’t say anymore.
'Cos I love you, yes I love you,
Oh how I love you, oh how I love you.
'Cos I love you, yes I love you,
Oh how I love you, oh how I love you
- Nights in White Satin, The Moody Blues

“CHELSEA STOP SQUIRMING AROUND SO much!” Jordan complained as she tugged the blonde waves of hair around.

“You’re pulling my hair out!” Chelsea replied.

“No I’m not!”

“Yes, you are!” The small girl hit her in the back of the head with the hairbrush before getting back to work.

“I’m almost done, anyway.” It doesn’t feel like you’re almost finished…

“Uh huh, sure.”

After twenty more painful minutes Jordan deemed her hair and make up ready. Chelsea almost cried with relief when her boyfriend’s twin put down her tools of torture- a hairbrush, a comb and a case full of things to paint and ‘beautify’ women. Though she and Jordan had gotten closer over the past few weeks, she’d never liked the prospect of makeovers and wasn’t about to start complying now.

“Now put on the dress!” Jordan squealed. She was going to wear the dress she got for her birthday, to Jay’s request.

“I’m not going to strip with you in the room, Jor,” Chelsea said and rolled her eyes.

“Why not? We’re all girls here!” She just shook her head. “If it helps, you can pretend that I’m Jay!”

“That doesn’t really help at all. In fact, that’s kind of gross.”

“Just put the damn dress on!” Jordan glared at her and she sighed. Shrugging out of her robe, she stood there awkwardly in her lacy underwear and strapless bra.

 “Don’t say a word,” she warned. Her friend giggled.

 “SOMEONE’S HOPING TO GET LUCKY TONIGHT!”

 “I TOLD YOU NOT TO SAY A WORD!”

 Jordan giggled again. “Sorry, babe, I couldn’t help myself.”

 “Riiight.” Sighing in defeat, Chelsea tugged the dress over her head and fixed it so it fit properly. The bodice was so tight that her miniscule boobs almost fell out of it.

 Almost.

 “Are you ready yeeet?” Jay sang from behind her bedroom door, where his sister had locked him out.

 “Yeah! We’ll be out in a couple of minutes!” she replied while Jordan fussed around with her hair again.

 “Your dad’s doing one of his weird rituals again, Chelsea!” Alison cried loudly. She had settled into the house by now but Henry O’Hara’s weirdness still scared her in some ways.

 “Just ignore him!” Chelsea shouted back. “Take Sadie out or something!”

 “Oh, that’s actually a good idea!” Her footsteps faded as she walked down the hall.

 “CHELLY!” Jay started to shriek suddenly. “I wanna gooo! I wanna gooo!”

 “Okay, okay! Sheesh, brother!” Jordan cried back. “She’s coming!”