51

Hermione looked at her friend, mouth agape.
"Alex... when you say you-know-who wants you back- is that where you were last year?"

"No. I- oh you're going to hate me. I hate me."

"Hey, nothing could ever make me hate you. Talk to me, Alex." Hermione dropped by her friend's side. Alexandra looked up at Hermione's earnest face.

"Promise you won't tell anyone what I tell you?" Hermione looked uncertain but the look of pure anguish on Alexandra's face had her promising before she even knew what she was doing. "Last year, mum let Ron and me go look around our favourite shops in Diagon alley while she got our books with the twins. I had a little money that Bill had given me a little while earlier so I took Ron to the sweet shop. But there was a man following us. I told Ron to go ahead without me. This man... he said he'd hurt Ron if I didn't go with him, so I left."

"You didn't run away."

"I left willingly. I chose to go with him."

"You were forced, Alex. Coerced. Threatened with the life of your brother."

"He apparated me away to a house. I was locked in a room for two months. There was a house elf who'd come and bring me food. Other than that, I was left alone." Alexandra's eyes were glazed as she recalled the memory. "I threw tantrums, screamed and yelled. Eventually I got out. I think it was a test to see if I could. There were two guards outside and they took me to grandfather dearest." She sneered at the phrase. "He wasn't even human. Just whispers of cold shadows and darkness. The next few weeks, it was boring. I was allowed to roam around so I just read the books in the library." Her eyes were glassy with unshed tears. "Then I tried to leave. It didn't work out. I didn't try again for another couple of months. I didn't get very far, again. I mean, this time, I managed to get out of the house, but I was only a few yards out when a creature stopped me. He caught my arm."

"Caught your arm?"

"With his teeth. He was a werewolf. I should have turned but one of the goons watching me caught up to me. He pushed the wolf away with a spell and then I don't remember much. I woke up much later. There was a wizard who was trying to find a way to cure the werewolf bite before I turned but- there's a reason there is no cure." Alexandra's eyes flashed yellow. "He came very close, though- turned me into something else altogether. I don't turn on a full moon. Not every full moon, at least. But I can keep the monster inside at bay, as long as I release it every once in a while. The wizard- he was a healer. He found a way to control me. Control it. Voldemort was pleased, actually, and used the monster inside to carry out his bidding."

"Alex, I-"

"He made me take a special potion and I couldn't fight it. But then, eventually, one time, I couldn't take the potion. He needed unicorn hair for it, and the shipment came late, so he couldn't make the potion. It was easier to not listen to him without the potion forcing me. I took advantage and ran away. Found my way to Diagon Alley. That's where Malfoy's dad found me. And you know the rest. Hermione, I hurt people because he told me to. And the moment he gets a chance, he's going to find a way to take me again. I don't want to hurt anyone."

"He won't get you, Alex. Listen to me, you are safe here at Hogwarts. There is no place safer. And he can't force you to go anywhere. They used the body bind spell on you, didn't he?" Alexandra nodded. "Well, no one can't use it on you this time. And your family will be safe. They can protect themselves. Ron is here at Hogwarts. He is safe."

"For how long? There are sympathisers everywhere. He is everywhere."

"Well, to start with, you have me to help you."

"You don't hate me?"

"I told you. Nothing could ever make me hate you."

"But I hurt people."

"It wasn't you. You were forced, and I can't imagine how you must feel. None of what happened was your fault, Alex."

"Of course it was."

"No, it wasn't." Hermione said, fiercely. "You are the best person I know, forced to do horrible things. And in spite of everything that has happened to you, you're still good. You care about everyone. You may not like to show it, but you have a very big heart."

"You really don't hate me?" Hermione answered that question with a hug. "Thank you."

"Thank you for trusting me. I know it's hard, so thank you."

"I'm sorry I'm not always a good friend."

"You're the best friend, Alex. My best friend."

"Considering your other friends are Harry and Ron, that's not saying much." She tried to joke, wiping away tears.

"The best friend anyone could have."

"I was mean to you."

"Oh, yes. That wasn't a very nice moment. Next time you'd like to let out your emotions, just talk to me."

"I still have some secrets."

"What more could you be hiding?"

"It'll be dangerous if you know. You should know that I haven't told you everything, though."

"That's okay. Whenever you're ready."

"Thank you for coming with me."

"Just as long as you talk to Snape. I don't think I'll be able to go back to potions on Friday if I'm going to get into trouble."

"I'll tell him during my DADA class." She said.

"Thanks. Now, what do you say we go get lunch? I'm pretty sure class is over by now."

"I'm not very hungry. You should go without me."

"Why aren't you ever hungry?"

"The weaker I keep the beast, the easier it is to keep in control."

"So it's not that you're not hungry. You're just trying to starve yourself."

"I'm not starving myself. I do eat. Just not as often as I used to."

"Make an exception? I'll sit with you. You finally let me in on your secrets. This calls for celebration, Alex." Alexandra laughed.

"You're a very strange person."

"I absolutely am. But like a wise person once told me, I should own it."

"I am very wise, aren't I?"