19

Alexandra ended up visiting the forbidden forest every once in a while- not to see Magorian (she ran away any time she saw him)- but because his words intrigued her. Were there really other creatures in the forest? She saw Quildemort feeding off a unicorn once and ran away before he offered her some unicorn hair as some sort of twisted peace offering. A few minutes later she found herself heading back. She couldn't turn away from such a pure creature being hurt in such a revolting way.
"Stupefy!" She said. It didn't stun him like she'd wanted, seeing as he was powerful from the unicorn blood, but it did get his attention.

"Really, Alexandra. You should know better than to interrupt me."

"Well, you're already after the Philosopher's stone. Why do you need the unicorn blood? You can survive for a year, at least, without any more blood before you die of weakness."

"The blood keeps me strong."

"Well, probably should've gotten the blood owled to you, like you used to, because you can't murder these pure, innocent animals."

"Since when have you become an advocate for all things pure?"

"You made me do a lot of bad. Consider this me repenting and seeking redemption. So stop! All these months not going to Quirrell's classes meant I got taught how to actually defend myself. I know a lot more spells than I did when you first found me. And I knew quite a few back then. You're wandless, and vulnerable."

"You make me prouder by the minute." He stood up straight.

"Yeah, well we'll see how proud I make you when I one day get the chance to kill you."

"Why not now?"

"You know I can't. You made sure of it. Don't make me repeat myself, grandfather."

"I'll allow you this one win, granddaughter. Some day soon, I'll have you by my side again."

"I was never on your side." Alexandra glared, her wand still in hand, following Voldemort as he walked away. As soon as he was out of view, she rushed over to the animal that had collapsed. She pointed her wand at it's wound, and muttered a spell Snape had taught her. "Vulnera Sanentur." Immediately, the blood stopped flowing so heavily out of the unicorn. It twitched as she gently stroked its mane. She repeated the spell and watched as the wound knit itself back together. It would be able to mend the scar on it's own, now that it was no longer in fatal danger. The unicorn lay for a little while allowing her to stroke it and soothe it, before getting back on it's feet. It rubbed it's face across her cheek, before galloping away.

"That was quite the performance." She heard clapping and looked to the sound.

"Magorian. What are you doing here?"

"This forest is my own. I was just galloping around, enjoying the night. You saved the unicorn."

"Good night, Magorian."

"If Voldemort's in the castle, why wouldn't you tell that headmaster of yours?"

"I'd rather not endanger the lives of my friends. If I tell Dumbledore, Quildemort's going to know it was me, and he'll take out everyone I've ever spared a glance at with him. As long as no one provokes him, they'll be safe."

"How do you know Voldemort exactly?"

"Goodbye, Magorian. I trust you can keep this exchange to yourself?"

"Your future's unclear!" He called after her as she walked away. "If you continue to walk the lonely path, you'll end up as his puppet."

"I am sick of other people telling me what my future'll be like. I won't be on his side, no matter what." Alexandra ran away from him and the forest. Unfortunately she ran straight into Cedric Diggory. The cute boy who could never be more than her housemate.

"Alex, Alex." He stopped her and grabbed her shoulders. "Hey, what happened? You look like your running from another troll." He paused. "Wait, are you running from another troll?" He peered behind her, jokingly. She tried to get out of his grip.

"Let go of me. I'm tired of people grabbing me. Why can't everyone just leave me alone?" She said, distressed, squirming. Cedric let go of her but stood in her way.

"What's going on? Who's been grabbing you?"

"You. The twins. Ma-" She stopped. "Just let me go. Please. I want to be alone."

"Come with me." He grabbed her hand and dragged her up to the Astronomy tower. He led her to the parapet and let her lean over the edge.

"Won't we get caught?"

"Teachers almost never come in here. And we're so high up, no one can really see us." He said. "It's where I come whenever I need to breathe."

"Unless you're playing quidditch." She added.

"Unless I'm playing quidditch. I usually come here to rest after a few laps."

"Thank you." She said.

"Well, you looked like you needed it. Just as long as you promise to keep it a secret. No one ever comes up here, because it's so high up."

"I'm pretty good at secrets." She replied.

"I'll say."

"Why are you nice to me? I'm always mean to you."

"Because I see you. You're not that mean. You try, but mainly you just try to avoid."

"It'd be easier if people let me avoid them."

"Why do you try to avoid people?"

"That's a secret, now, isn't it?"

"Okay, I won't pry."

"It doesn't work though. People at Hogwarts don't know the meaning of personal space."

"You love us." He smiled.

"Not really, no. Making friends was not on my list of things to do."

"Then what was?"

"Oh, you know. Invent spells and miracle potions. Establish my status as the most important figure in the wizarding world. Then take over the wizarding world. The usual."

"Ah, yes. The usual." He nodded solemnly. "Too bad you're going to school with the famous Harry Potter. How are you going to beat that?"

"I can't tell you all my evil plans, now can I?"

"Right, of course." He laughed. "My mistake."

"Thanks for this. But I should get back to the dorms before curfew." She stood. "Bye." She ran all the way to her dorms, and headed straight for her bed.

"Alex?" A voice said, as her head hit the pillow. She sat up and looked at her dormmates.

"Yes?"

"Can we talk?" Hannah asked.

"I'm kind of tired."

"That's kind of what we want to talk about." Megan said, softly. She looked at them.

"I'm just tired. It's no biggie." She shrugged.

"You've been tired every night for the past couple of weeks." Hannah said. "You stay away from us every afternoon and head into bed right as soon as you come in. You're always out of bed before any of us, not to mention how you're always whimpering in your sleep."

"It's just nightmares."

"Every night?"

"Recurring nightmare." She shrugged.

"Maybe you should tell an adult? Get some dreamless sleep potion?"

"Look, I appreciate the worry. But I'm fine. Now I kind of want to sleep. So goodnight." She snapped and laid back down, putting the covers over her head.