11

Alexandra had gained a sort of reputation in her house. People didn't like approaching her because of her distant attitude, but they didn't mind being partnered with her in class, because she was good enough at some small talk and excellent in class. They often saw her reading textbooks well above her grade, though she'd started the fifth year defence against the dark arts since she'd finished the potions textbooks. Hermione hadn't given up on pestering her, but still hadn't managed to get her to give up her secrets. They were now half-friends, with Alexandra trying to push Hermione away whenever she could, and the latter not falling for it. They'd become very competitive, though, especially in Charms- the only class they had together. They were both constantly trying to one up the other, which did win them a whole bunch of points for their houses but also annoyed professor Flitwick to the point where he'd dismissed their class early one week.

Her lessons with Snape were her favourites. Potions might have been her preferred subject, but she wasn't half bad at Defense Against the Dark Arts. Snape had gone off-curriculum and had decided to teach her Occlumency. He'd said she seemed to master anything he threw at her so he'd start at the top. Sensing her discomfort with the patronus, he'd decided against giving her more lessons until after the occlumency. He said once she'd learned to table her darker feelings with the occlumency, casting a patronus charm would come more easily. Neither of them mentioned his former status as a death eater, though he wondered how she knew.

Time was surprisingly going quickly. Days turned to weeks which turned to months. Alexandra tried her best to stay away from Cedric. It worked for about two months, before she bumped into him in the common room. She usually hung out in there after she woke up so that she could read or practice her magic, but usually left before anyone else got out. Except for one morning.

"Alex." He smiled. She rolled her eyes and stood to leave. He blocked her path. She sat back down, and picked up her book, choosing to ignore him. "Silent treatment. A little childish, don't you think."

"Why do you insist on trying to talk to me?"

"Because you're the most interesting person I've met. You're the only first year I've heard of who reads fourth year potions textbooks for fun. Not even the Ravenclaws do. You're kind, even when you want to be mean. So I'm interested in why you act as though you're allergic to people."

"Just leave me alone, Cedric. Please. I'm not a good friend to have. So stay away from me."

"Can't I make that choice for myself?"

"Leave me alone. Trust me, you're better off."

"I don't think you're so bad."

"You're not a good judge of character."

"I resent that, although you may be right on the count of your brothers." He laughed. Alexandra stood up and shoved past him.

"Just leave me alone, Cedric." She ran to her charms class. She was one of the only people there and she sat in her seat. It didn't take long for the class to fill up. Hannah Abbott was her partner in this class.

"One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation." Professor Flitwick was explaining. "The ability to make objects fly. Uh, do you all have your feathers?" The class nodded. "Good. Now, uh, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing. Come on, repeat after me, everyone. The swish and flick."

"The swish and flick." They all repeated.

"Good. And saying the magic words properly is very important too. Nevery forget the wizard Baruffio who said 'f' instead of 's' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on on his chest."

"You wanna go ahead?" Alexandra gestured to the feather.

"You do it first." Hannah said. Alexandra nodded.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" She said and the feather lifted slightly. Alexandra twisted her hand and the feather copied her movements.

"Well done." Hannah smiled. Alexandra shrugged and offered back a small smile. Professor Flitwick wasn't watching.

"Your turn." Alexandra started to say, but was cut off by her brother and Hermione arguing behind her. The girls turned back to look.

"It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa." Hermione corrected. "Make the 'gar' nice and long."

"Hermione's like the Gryffindor version of you." Hannah teased as Hermione amended Ron's pronunciation. "Know-it-all."

"And what's wrong with being a know-it-all?" Alexandra raised her brow.

"Absolutely nothing." Hannah laughed. "It gets us points."

"You do it, then, if you're so clever." Ron scowled. Hermione sighed and rolled up her sleeves before flicking her wand.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" She said, and the feather rose into the air.

"Oh, well done!" Professor Flitwick averted all attention to Hermione. "Everyone see here. Miss Granger's done it!"

"Hey, can I-?" Alexandra gestured to their feather, a devious smirk on her face. Hermione had given her a fabulous opportunity.

"Go ahead," Hannah shrugged.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Alexandra whispered before moving her feather over to Hermione, who didn't notice, until it was too late. Alexandra's feather tickled Hermione's nose, breaking the latter's concentration.

"Alex!" Hermione groaned as she laughed. Alexandra pouted innocently before returning her feather back to her table.

"Well done, Miss Weasley, though perhaps not the most sensible of demonstrations?" Professor Flitwick scolded.

"I think I can do it now." Hannah said. "Wingardiom Leviosa!" She said. The feather twitched slightly.

"Wingardi-um, Hannah. Not om." Alexandra explained.

"Right. Thanks." Hannah tried again and succeeded. By the end of the lesson, most of the class was able to levitate their feathers, with the exception of Seamus who didn't try again after blowing up his and Harry's feather. The Hufflepuffs had DADA next, which meant Alexandra had a free period. Since Dumbledore had set up lessons with professor Snape for her, she was excused from her DADA lessons. She parted from the Hufflepuffs, but ended up stuck behind the Gryffindors who were were headed in the same direction as her. She was walking beside Hermione, because she found she much preferred the brunette's company over her own brother's.

"It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa!" She heard Ron mocking Hermione. "She's a nightmare, honestly. No wonder she hasn't got any friends." Alexandra noticed tears in Hermione's eyes, as the young witch ran off, pushing past Ron's shoulder.

"Oh well done, arsehole!" Alexandra scoffed. "Just because Hermione's smart does not give you the right to be so rude! She was helping you. I don't expect you to understand because you're a gormless twat, but you're wrong about her. She's not a nightmare, and she has me for a friend. So get over yourself Ron Weasley." She spat his name and ran after Hermione.