Chapter Twenty Four: The Ride

Five months after event:
  After a few hours of discussing their plans with Grant they had convinced him to help.

  There they were many communities that were coming in contact with. Some through their own scouts finding Jenson towns scouts, some by Ham radio, others by CB radio, and most recently by satellite phone. Most had plenty of food and medicine but no way to defend themselves.

  Jenson town wasn't the only place seeing gangs trying to take advantage of people. Also wild and feral animals were becoming an increasing problem, especially rats.

  The rats were tearing through cities and towns looking for food and then migratting out towards smaller communities.

  Jenson Town seemed to be the only place with a solid way of defending its self. So Clyde and the town council had decided to try and help.

  They would offer their help by providing weapons and designs in exchange for whatever the other communities had to trade that Jenson Town might need. Some had parts, some had tech, and some had essentials like batteries, candles, and gasoline.

  Clyde scheduled the initial expedition to leave in two weeks. He told them that would give him enough time to get everything together.
                              . . . . .
  Grant, Frank, Johnny, and Rob stood outside the barn beside a pile of supplies. Clyde Jenson was supposed to meet them there with whatever mode he planned for them to use to move all the trade supplies.

  From what Grant had heard they would probably be riding chickens. He wasn't quite fond of this idea himself. Chickens were prey to a lot of animals domestic as well as wild. If a pack of feral dogs came by the chicken as well as the cargo would be lost in an instant.

  He had found himself dreading the thought of riding a chicken more and more as he thought about it. Then the rumble of an engine caught his ear. This had become a foreign sound since the event, nothing was running these days.

  The noise was coming from behind the barn. Suddenly one of the children's electric play cars come barreling around the corner. These cars may have been a fraction of the size if real cars but they were still huge. Huge that is compared to the shrunkin people they carried these days.

  Grant could see Clyde sitting behind thecollection of gears that allowed him to stear by moving the huge plastic starting wheel. He wore a huge grin across his face as he roared up the side of the barn towards them.

  Clyde came sliding to a halt in the big plastic vehical. "Well what do you think about your ride boys?" Clyde questioned as his grin grew wider at their shocked faces. "Where'd you get a gas powered one of these?" Rob asked. "Me and the engineering crew have been working on it for over a month. We took a mini four wheeler engine and fitted it to the vehical. Figured this would work better than a chicken pulled wagon" Clyde said as he patted the side of the truck." We fitted real tires on her from the mini four wheeler we took the engine from, so she otta handle pretty well" Clyde continued.
  "Lets start loading these supplies into the truck. Members of security should be here soon, then you bits can be on your way.

  They had decided to take a squad of security troops with them to help gaurd their trade goods. The vehical would make this easier.

  The troops arrived and loaded into the bed of the truck. They were just about to leave as Frank began easing the truck into drive. "Wait!" Someone shouted. A loud thud  could be heard from the back of the vehical followed by the truck bouncing a little.

  Grant turned to look behind him only to find Duke standing in the bed of the truck with Dutchess sitting in his back. She climbed down and then the dog immediately plopped down and began panting with his tounge hangging out his mouth. "Is she supposed to be going with us?" Grant asked Johnny who sat beside him. "I'd like to see you stop her if that's what she wants to do" Johnny said with a laugh as they drove off leaving the farm.