55. A Terrible Mistake

Start from the beginning

"Again? That's another terrible mistake, right there. Stop jumping to conclusions. For a guy who declares to know women well, you surely know nothing at all." I shook my head, tucking my hair behind my ears.

"What do you mean?" He asked with a frown, yet I didn't miss the hope that crossed against his eyes.

"I mean that you have no idea what she might or might not do or want. So, please stop trying to guess. You left her because you thought she didn't want to see you, but I'm positive that she wanted nothing more than that. And now you wouldn't dare try and contact her because you also think that she wouldn't want to have anything to do with you, and yes, you probably are right to be honest, but again, that is her choice and her decision. Not yours. And if she doesn't want to see you, it'll be because of want you haven't done, not what you have." I reasoned.

"What do you mean?" He shook his head in confusion.

"Alright, listen to me. According to what you just told me, your brother had raped her and she went to the hospital. Who do you think is the first person she would want to talk to when she waked up? You. She might have cried in your arms or she might have thrown you out like you believed, but again, that was her choice to make, at least for closure after what she had gone through. When she woke up, whose voice do you think she ached to hear calming her down and promising her that everything was going to be okay? Yours." I waved my arms around.

"Alright, alright. I know I fucked up, what do you want me to do? It's too late now." He stated sadly.

"I want you to get your head out of your ass and not repeat your mistakes again. You don't want to look for her because you think she wouldn't want to see your face. Just stop thinking for her and let her decide what she wants to do. You have no idea what she had been through, maybe her life is as miserable as yours. Maybe she still loves you too. Maybe she has a lot to tell you, but wouldn't dare contact you herself because she respects herself a little more than that." I explained and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Emma?" He asked and my blood turned cold, knowing that I got caught.

"W-what?" I stuttered because it was the perfect timing for that.

"Do you know something that I don't?" He leaned closer to me and I took a deep breath.

"Look, Drake. I know we haven't known each other for long, but I also know that I actually consider you my best friend. I don't even know why, but I do. And that is why I will not lie to you. If you ask me further, I will answer every question you have truthfully. But as your friend, I'm begging you not to. Not now. " I said and he shook his head in confusion, rushing to the edge on his seat.

"Ask me tomorrow, and I will tell you everything I know, but don't ask me now. Just take your time to think about everything. About her, about yourself. How would your life go on without her. How would it go if she showes up again. What would you do if she does, what would you do if she doesn't. Just take your time till tomorrow and make up your mind. If tomorrow you ask me, I will tell you everything I know and will still learn till then. If you don't ask me, I will never open this topic again with you. I promise." I held his hand in mine.

"I-I don't want to say. I don't know what to think." He shook his head rapidly.

"Take your time to think calmly and make up your mind, but if you want my advise, Drake.. hold on to hope." I said, for some reason my eyes watering.

"But.. I haven't had any hope for years, Emma." He shook his head again.

"If you decide to ask me tomorrow, I might be able to give you just that." I nodded, a tear falling on my cheek, seeing how scared he is to hope yet how terrified he wouldn't.