Moments Before The End

"Letting you out there is a team decision, you know? You're the only one out there, but it's a team effort. You have to prove that you're listening to what they're saying, you have to follow it. These guys are smart. You're smart, but we have to keep our heads together when you're out there. We have a much better chance of bringing you back safely rather than if we left you on your own..."

Parker's brain hurt almost as much as her legs. From wall to wall in the kitchen of Barry's house, she paced, rehearsing lines for the awaiting argument. 

The front door creaked open. Shoes squeaked against the hardwood. 

"Hello?" he called into the darkness. 

"Yeah, you would be the first dead in a horror film," guessed Parker. "Hi. I broke in. You guys still leave the extra key in the dirt of the plant."

Thoughtfully, Barry pursed his lips. He tilted his head, motioning for her to follow him up the stairs and into his bedroom. 

"Sorry about the mess. If I would have known, I would have cleaned up," he said.

"I don't mind," said Parker. "Look, I came here to address an issue, so can I?"

Barry took a seat on his bed. "The floor is yours."

The words of her speech flew out professionally, as though she had said it millions of times. The only thing Barry didn't know was that she actually had. At the end, Parker curtsied, signifying that she finished. 

"Joe did say I should stop putting my feelings first," admitted Barry.

Parker clapped. "And Joe would be right!"

"I need to start thinking. You're right. I'm sor--"

"No, no, I'm not asking for an apology," she interrupted. "I just want you to promise that you're going to try."

Barry stood. His long legs needed two steps before he was in front of her. He gripped the desk behind her. Their close proximity made her stomach twist. The way his eyes found interest in only her made her heart flutter. 

"I will listen to your advice," Barry promised. "I will be a good boy and follow the rules."

Parker didn't trust her voice. Instead, she nodded, then ducked under his arm. "Uh, how did t-the supersonic punch go?"

"Hurt. Like really bad. But I finally beat Tony, so I'm happy," admitted Barry. "So happy that I think I deserve a victory kiss!"

Barry ran to Parker. His arms swooped down and wrapping around her waist. She had to latch her arms around his neck to avoid being dropped. When her feet were safely planted on the ground --and the headache left-- he puckered his lips.

Shaking her head, Parker wiggled from his grasp, then took his hand, tugging on it slightly. 

"Where are we going?" 

"To bed? Aren't you tired?"

It was Barry's turn to drag her into the bed. 

"Eager to get me in bed, huh?" teased Parker. 

He reached behind his neck and pried his shirt off. 

"Oh, my God," mumbled Parker, sliding her hands over her face. 

"Do I make you nervous?" His tone was filled with cockiness.

"Insanely."

××××

In the middle of the night, Parker's eyes fluttered open.She lifted her head from Barry's chest. The bright red letters of his alarm clock read 3:37 a.m.