8 | Flora

"Ah, thank you, nurse." Barbara smirked as she rolled passed him. "You're quite the gentleman."

"Who says chivalry is dead?" Richard returned her smirk as he caught up with her.

"I don't think anyone says that." Barbara glanced at him, furrowing her eyebrows at the pair of sunglasses he had pulled out. "Seriously? There's not even any sun!"

"My eyes are sensitive. I can't take the risk," he said as they crossed the street together.

Deciding not to press the subject any further, Barbara turned her attention to the tallest tower in all of Gotham. Like a lighthouse rising out of the depths of the ocean, Wayne Tower stood like no other building in the city. Though crafted with the same sharp curves and edges as all the other skyscrapers, its architecture was not nearly as dreary and that was solely because of the neon blue W at the top. It added the slightest tinge of color to the otherwise black building.

"Looks like Bruce hasn't renovated his building yet," Barbara remarked, noticing the rows of gargoyles lining the top of the observation deck.

Richard snickered. "Wait until you see the inside."

"Oh, God. I can already imagine the torches lighting the halls," she groaned. "Tell me, is there a spiked metal gate that lets us in?"

"You'll see." He gave her a cryptic smile before walking ahead, disappearing around the line of trees. When Barbara appeared on the other side, she saw where he had run off to. Standing there like a doorman, he held the glass door open and gestured for her to go inside.

"After you." He gave an exaggerated bow.

Barbara snorted at him. What a goofball. But she would be lying if she didn't find it somewhat endearing. Most guys took themselves too seriously or tried too hard to be cool. But Richard was different from the little she saw of him. He was silly and perky and most importantly, he wasn't ashamed to be himself.

And he was kind of cute too, but she was never going to admit that...

As she rolled inside, the sight around her nearly took her breath away. Only a few inches in, and she already had to take back what she said. This place was the epitome of class and modern style. With its pristine white marble floors to its sleek black walls, Wayne Tower was not the gruesome dungeon she imagined.

Blinking at the blinding fluorescent light, Barbara moved towards the elongated desk where a pretty receptionist sat behind.

"Uh, hello," Barbara greeted.

The receptionist glanced up, her catlike eyes startling Barbara. "Hello, how may I help you?"

"I would like to speak to your boss." Barbara leaned forward and pressed the palms of her hands on the desk, leaving a pair of oily handprints on its gleaming surface. Oops. She tried to wipe the prints away with her sleeve, only to give up when she saw she was just making it worse.

The intensity in the receptionist's green eyes sharpened. "Do you have an appointment?"

Barbara's gaze shifted to the side. "Um... no."

"Don't worry, Selina." Richard came up from behind. "She's with me."

Her red lips curled into a beaming smile at the sight of the boy. "All right. Mr. Wayne is in his office."

"Thanks." He waved to her before guiding Barbara towards the elevators in the corner.

"Didn't realize you needed an appointment to see him," Barbara said, watching as the dial crept back towards the first floor.