Chapter 2 - Blood

Start from the beginning

I finally turned to meet her eyes. She gave me a weak smile, sitting back on her knelt legs.

"Elena, what happened?"

"He... Someone shot him." I managed.

"Who?"

"I don't know."

Her brows knitted together as she seemed confused by my words.

"It was a sniper."

"And why are you here? Alone?"

"I snuck out," I replied, diverting my gaze from hers.

"Elena! You need to stop doing that! Tonight could have gone horribly wrong and you had nobody here with you nor did anybody know you were even here!"

"It nearly did."

"What?"

"It nearly did go horribly wrong. He came here to kill me." I signaled to the dead body beside us with my head.

"He thought I was someone else and had me held at gunpoint."

"Dear God, Elena." Sierra scooted closer to me.

"When he learned of my real identity, he stopped his pursuit of me, apologized and began mumbling about being betrayed. He said it was a setup. I have no idea who he is or what he was speaking of. He was about to tell me more when he got shot. His last word was Vinny, but I don't know who that name belongs to."

I began sobbing as my eyes glanced over to his lifeless body next to us. Sierra grabbed me and held me in her arms. She rocked me back and forth for a few minutes before pulling back.

"Ok. Go get in the car. I will deal with this. I will then take you home without anybody knowing you were even gone."

I nodded at her as she let go of me and helped me to my feet. She held out the car keys for me to take.

"But Elena..." She paused, waiting for me to give her my attention when she retreated the keys from my hands.

"We need to confide in someone about this soon. This is too big to keep a secret. Your father and brother need to know what happened here. This could be the beginning of a potential threat."

"I'm not ready, Sisi," I mumbled underneath my breath.

"I know. And I will not push you, but at some point, they need to know."

I nodded my head in agreement as she dropped the keys into my hands. I quickly grabbed his ring upon his torso, placing it in my pocket as Sierra searched the perimeter for any witnesses or dangers. I then headed towards the car and sat in the passenger seat.

I sat there for nearly an hour, my mind replaying everything like a movie reel before me. I peered down at my hands a few times, their color making me feel nauseous. I then heard the driver's door open and Sierra slumped down into the seat.

She was dirty, blood smeared across her clothes and hands. Her hair was disheveled and she had beads of sweat upon her forehead that she used her arm to wipe away.

"I've dragged him further into the park, away from the kids' section. He is in the middle of a running path in between the trees. Someone should find him tomorrow morning. I have wiped him clean so your prints nor mine should be there. They shouldn't be able to trace it back to us."

"I called Andrews while I was busy. I told him to make sure he was the detective on the case and stray it away from you. I told him what happened and made him think I was calling on your father's behalf. I also told him to contact me and only me should anything arise, saying your father is unreachable for the time being. He will also delete the camera footage around the kids' play area. It's all sorted." She sighed deeply in relief as she placed her head back into the seat headrest.