Chapter 8

"Who are you looking for? He left when I told him to." Clarence said with a smug look on his face. My face was burning with embarrassment. 'I never expected Clarence to be acting this way with me. Considering all that happened earlier today, I was certain that he wanted nothing more than for me to please my parents. Now I have no idea what was going through his mind!' I thought as our eyes locked on each other still floating there in the water, my body pressed tightly to his.

"I bet you're wondering if I've had a change of heart?" He asked, his lovely expression was gone and I couldn't read it anymore.

"Indeed." I answer in a low sullen tone.

"I have not." He replied.

"But you-"

"Please don't get me wrong m'lady. I am merely doing nothing more than cheering you up." His answer struck me in the heart very deeply, I couldn't move as he held me tighter. Stuck there forced to stare into his beautiful eyes, I hung my head and allowed him to take me out of and away from the water's edge. Soaking wet we both entered the manor with my parents waiting by the door begging to know if I was alright, "She's fine." Clarence told them as he feigned a smile, but I wasn't. However, I didn't speak. The cruel reality was setting in. Clarence was nothing more than my loyal butler, and those feelings that we shared as youngsters was more than long gone.