Chapter 4 | Goodbye, For Now

A/N: Hello wattpaders! Hope you enjoy it. It's not the best and I feel like I could have made it flow better but mehh! I was rushing to get it published tonight.

Comment, Vote, and float my boat XD

____________________________________________________________

This is it. No turning back. Breathe Pennie! Dang it, pay attention.

I quickly braked, avoiding the car stopped in front off me. The line of traffic to get into the airport was a nightmare.

Haha funny, another nightmare in my life. All the traffic was expected though, having grown up in the heart of Chicago it was a daily nuisance. The Chicago O'Hare International Airport sat in front of us, like a beacon in the night, it both terrified and excited me.

My Grandfather was sitting patiently beside me in my car, as my hands gripped the steering wheel. My palms were clammy as I turned left into the airport. I was trying my hardest to stay calm, but with each passing moment more and more panic filled my body, and the thoughts started flowing.

I'm going to another country. I'm going to be leaving my grandpa on his own. I would be flying for the first time, and by myself at that!

Finally finding an empty spot in the parking garage, I pulled in slowly and turned off my car. My hands slightly shook as I yanked the keys from the ignition.

"Pennie, are you okay?" My Grandfather had read me like an open book, as he always does.

Answering him honestly I said, "No not really, I'm scared." I squeezed my eyes closed tight, trying to keep the tears back. Could I really leave him?

"Sweetheart you will be fine. There is nothing to worry about. You'll get on that flight, then before you know it you'll be on a beach with your Uncle reading one of your favorite novels, you did remember to pack some right?"

This made me smile, "Yes quiet a few actually. I even have one in my carry on for the flight." I admitted.

I knew it was coming to the part I was dreading the most-the goodbyes. Before we had left we both agreed we would say our goodbyes in the car, that way Grandpa wouldn't have to get out and walk for miles through the airport.

"Pennie I'll miss you so much, but I want you to have fun. So call me when you land because you know I'll be worrying about you if you don't."

"Goodbye Grandpa, I love you." I reached across the dash that separated us and pulled him into my embrace. Tears just started to form in my eyes.

"It's not goodbye sweetheart, you'll be back soon." His words hit me like a brick, and trying to hide my face I briskly opened my drivers door and went to the trunk to pull out my suitcases.

I head my Grandfather get out, looking up I saw he had his arms out wide wanting another hug. Dropping my bags on the dirty concrete I closed my trunk and went to him.

The tears were coming and I wasn't going to stop them. Hugging my Grandfather I caught a whiff of his cologne he always wore; a scent I would always associate with him.

Kissing my forehead, he gently pulled away from me.

"Go on, you'll miss your flight." He gave me a slight nudge toward my suitcases.

Picking them up I looked, and felt like a pack mule. I had two large suitcases on wheels, and one large carry on bag slung over my shoulder. As I started to walk away I looked back to see my Grandfather standing they're watching me, waiting till I was through the sliding glass doors.

Giving him one last wave I turned and passed the barrier of the unknown, into the O'Hare International Airport.