Chapter 34: No rest for the wicked

GISELLE

Vlad handed Giselle the sword, a real life, sharp, forged in steel sword. She sighed and took it, feeling the weight in her hands. She thought she would love knowing how to swing a sword, but truthfully, she didn't. It was heavy and it bruised her hands. But Vlad insisted on teaching her how to fight.

They were in a round room in the lower parts of one of the Bran Castle's towers. Sun shone through the large windows, illuminating the empty room. There was nothing in it, except for the wooden floor and a table in the corner, all sorts of swords and daggers hanging from the wall above it.

"Your best defence is offense." Vlad lifted his sword and faced Giselle. "Your enemies know who you are, let that sink in. They know who your mother was and they will be afraid of you. You will use that."

Giselle put the sword in front of her and stared at the handle. Vlad's swords had a secret hidden in them, there was a wooden core beneath the steel. When he hurt a vampire with it, it immobilised him to the point he could barely move. If he hit the heart, the vampire was dead.

"There is no chance in hell I will ever master this craft. Maybe I should get back to brewing reviving potions with Luciana." Giselle frowned as the hilt of Vlad's sword collided with hers.

"Let's talk politics while we practice." Vlad swiftly changed the subject and hit Giselle with a sword just a swiftly. She winced in pain as sharp steel cut the back of her arm.

"Let's not talk politics. Let's talk whatever it is you're doing with Lerra." Giselle smiled as Vlad lost his focus for a moment and she lunged forward with a sword, almost touching him.

"How do you even know that?" Vlad regained his balanced and moved away from the attack, dodging Giselle's sword. She hadn't gotten used to the vampire speed so she almost tripped as she tried to stop.

"Ala plays cards with Petre, she infiltrated your Council. And trust me, that guy knows everything." Giselle said and moved away quickly, because Vlad was already on to her, swinging his sword so fast Giselle barely managed to escape. Her heart raced and she panted.

"I always knew he was scum." Vlad murmured.

"Careful, he can probably hear you, the guy's always lurking around." Giselle said and lunged forward, their swords colliding in the air, but Vlad didn't move. He pushed and pushed and Giselle's hands started to hurt. She was strong, but Vlad was immensely strong. She grunted and let go, the force of it making her lose her balance.

"Don't meddle in my affairs." Vlad warned.

"Don't meddle with Lerra!" Giselle answered.

"What I do is none of your business." It was perhaps the first time Giselle had seen Vlad really angry, and she wanted to let it go, but she couldn't.

"God, you men are all the same. At least you were suspicious of her! Octavia was right, everyone that gets involved with her ends up dead. She's manipulating you." Giselle sighed in frustration. To her surprise, Vlad smiled, but it was an evil kind of smile, one Giselle wasn't used to seeing on his face.

"If you're such an expert on manipulation, what are you doing with Devan Roua?" He asked and Giselle shut her mouth immediately. "That's what I thought." Vlad added.

"I thought he was your friend." Giselle murmured.

"Past tense. He's trouble, he's not good for you." Vlad said and Giselle laughed out loud bitterly.

"Oh, no, no, you're not going to tell me what is and isn't good for me. Especially if you're sleeping with Lerra!" Giselle raised her voice.

"I didn't sleep with her." Vlad countered.