Chapter 7: Devil's spawn

JACK

Jack's heart raced like it was about to jump out of his chest. His hands were almost shaking as he desperately tried to calm his nerves. Jack leaned onto the table and chugged down a goblet of red wine. He tried to compel her, he tried to make her invite him to her chambers. He wanted to suck her dry.

Jack looked at Giselle across the room. She stood next to Lord Adam as Rosa talked to him, probably explaining they need to leave the ball. Unnerving feeling flowed through Jack's veins, usually he was able to restrain himself. Tonight, this girl made him unravel.

Like a predator ready for his next meal, Jack had to hold the table behind him because he would otherwise run for the girl. This beast within he had no control over.

"Lord O'Neal!" A strong, rumbling voice called for him. Jack closed his eyes willing signs of his hunger off his face.

It was Lord Beaufort, a huge mass of fat and muscle, dressed in purple silk finery. Pitcher of mead in his hand, leftover food on his dark beard. He was immensely fat and Jack could imagine the taste of his blood, thick, salty and clogged.

"Lord Beaufort." Jack murmured.

"We barely had a chance to talk! Have you met my beautiful wife?" Lord Beaufort pushed forward the slight girl. She was so small compared to Beaufort.

"Lady Beaufort, we haven't been properly introduced." Jack took her little hand and kissed it lightly. Amalia blushed.

"I am so sorry for the outburst earlier today, Lord O'Neal, Lady Giselle and I have our differences." Amalia said, her lips forming a benevolent smile.

"With all due respect, Lady Beaufort, but you attacked a woman that is unable to have a child. I like to think I am chivalrous enough to defend a young woman's honour." Jack found himself getting angrier, his hunger emerging again. He desperately wanted to drink every drop of blood out of Giselle's body, but he also wanted to save her.

"We appreciate your chivalry." Lord Beaufort said, emphasizing the last word, adding a touch of disgust. "But I believe my wife is indeed right when she accuses Giselle for deeds that go against God. She has always been strange and that mother of hers," Beaufort smirked, "she never knew her place."

"I'm afraid I never knew her mother." Jack said. The sudden need to protect Giselle took him by surprise.

"She went mad, just like her daughter most likely will." Lord Beaufort leaned towards Jack like he was sharing a dirty secret with him. Amalia still had the same dumb smile plastered on her lips. Jack wanted to kill them both.

"Time will tell." Jack said.

"Oh, no, we cannot allow the Devil's spawn roaming through our beautiful Carcassonne. As soon as her father dies, we are talking to the castle priest. That is, unless we find strong evidence sooner." Lord Beaufort smiled, showing his teeth.

"Excuse me." Jack said suddenly. He had to leave, he had to move or otherwise he would tear off their limbs right in front of everybody. The Monarchy didn't allow it, killing the innocent humans for food. But Jack was never taught how to control himself.

He had to warn Giselle. He had to get to her, even if he had to tell her what he was. Jack rushed past noblemen not bothering to explain his sudden departure. His mere existence allowed him to act on impulse every now and then without justification. Every ounce of his mind wandered to the poor, sick girl who would be so wrongly accused. You don't even know her, Jack said to himself, you're going to fall in a trap again. No, not Giselle, she was innocent, she was pure. She deserved a second chance at life and he would provide this for her. Against his Madame's wishes, against Lord Adam's desire for children. Jack would turn her into a Night-Child, he would turn her into a vampire.