39

Author's note at the end! ❤️

~Harry Styles~

"No!" I hear from down the hall.

I glance at the clock on my nightstand. 3:08am, a little later than usual.

"Don't take me away!" She shrieks again. "Please!"

As usual, I climb out of bed, throw on a t-shirt, and head down the hall to Layla's room.

The first time it happened, I thought they were in my house trying to take her. But there's no way they could get anywhere near here.

When I open the door, there she is on the bed. All of the pillows and blankets have been thrown onto the floor again, and Layla is thrashing around, still screaming.

I walk in and start to pick up the sheets, tucking them under the mattress just as they were a few hours ago. Layla doesn't make it easy, still kicking around on the bed.

Giving up on the blankets for now, I sit down on the edge of the bed next to her. When she finally stops moving for a second, I see that her face is tense with fear and her forehead is beginning to sweat.

"Stop!" She suddenly screams again, kicking the sheets right back off the bed and onto the floor.

"Layla," I say quietly but she keeps yelling. "Layla calm down you're okay."

With that, she stops moving around and I take the opportunity to softly stroke her hair, tucking it behind her ear. I think it's over now as she rolls over peacefully, so I go back to putting all of the blankets back on the bed neatly, just how Layla likes them.

Just to be sure it's over, I wait by the door for a little while. Glancing at the alarm clock in the room, it's a little after four in the morning. She has to be done by now.

With one last glance at her, I whisper goodnight.

As usual, she doesn't wake up and I leave the room.

This time, I can't go back to sleep. Instead, I walk over to my bookshelf and pull out my current journal to write before I have to actually get up for work.

It was bad tonight. Usually Layla's nightmares are loud but this time was different. The look on her face was horrible. She just seemed so scared. I can't believe I did this to her. It wasn't supposed to be like this.

Anyways, Corruption has been giving us radio silence. That must mean something big is coming. We have to get them first. Today I'm going to send Niall and Louis to scope things out at their main base while Liam and I check their safe houses for activity.

I think they might be on to us, and that means we have to stay at least ten steps ahead of them at all times or else this was all for nothing. We need to end Corruption, and our time is running out.

At least since Liam and I are going to be working together today, he can bring Mia over. That will keep Layla off my back whining about being bored and having nothing to do all day. But she doesn't get it. I think having Mia over once in a while is good for her though. Right? There's got to be some girl thing where they get happier when they can hang out. Maybe I should invite Liam and Mia over more often.

I've been thinking about starting to write poems. Something about writing down what I want to say in only a few lines sounds way more appealing than filling up journals this way. But I'm not really good with words so that's probably a bad idea. Imagine if I was good with words though. Maybe I wouldn't be living like this (even though I do love my gang). Maybe I would be a famous poet, or even a songwriter. That would be cool, to be a famous musician. I would have so many girls all over me. But I already have so many girls all over me. Halfway there, I guess.

My alarm is going off now, which means Layla is probably about to make my breakfast. Only cereal, of course, because she can't cook for shit. But cereal is fine, because little does she know that most mornings I either stop at McDonald's or grab some food from one of the guys at work.

Bye for now.

And with that, I close the plain black journal and put it back on my bookshelf before going downstairs.

When I get to the kitchen, Layla hands me my bowl of cereal.

"Morning," she chirps.

"What are you so happy about?" She's always a little bit of a grouch in the mornings.

Layla goes quiet and I raise my eyebrow at her, waiting for an answer.

"Spill," I say again when she looks like she's hiding something.

"Promise you won't get mad?" She asks.

"No, but you better tell me anyways," I smirk at her.

"Fine," she sighs. "I heard you talking to Liam on the phone last night and I know Mia's coming over today."

"Oh that's it?" She is so naive.

"You're not mad?"

"No," I can't help but laugh a little at her. "Trust me, if I was making a phone call that I didn't want you to hear, you wouldn't hear it."

We don't talk much more after that, and a few minutes later Liam beeps his horn to let me know he's here. Usually I drive, but we're stationed together today and Liam's car is less recognizable than any of mine.

I mumble a quick "bye" to Layla and head out as she takes my empty cereal bowl.

Before I even have both of my legs into Liam's car, he's handing me a breakfast burrito.

"Thanks mate," I say as he peels out of my driveway.

Liam's about to respond when my phone rings.

"Talk to me Niall," I answer. Him and Louis should already be at Corruption's base.

"Harry it's bad," he sounds worried. "They have something big."

A/n
Hi friends, I've missed you. I hope you're all safe and healthy amidst everything happening in the world right now. Honestly, I have been completely blocked on this story and I've been watching wayyyyy too much tv. But I liked this chapter, and since my entire summer full of plans are cancelled, hopefully the inspiration will start flowing again. Anyways, I see all of the wonderful comments you guys keep leaving on this story and I appreciate them more than you could ever know. Thank you for continuing to love my story. ❤️