9

"What do you mean?" I say nervously.

"Harry never brings girls here or anywhere in public. He's more of a hit it and quit it type of guy. So tell me, what's your name and why are you here?" She says excitedly.

Mia seems friendly enough, and she obviously knows about these guys' lifestyle. I guess it can't hurt to talk to her.

"I'm Layla, and there isn't too much to tell. Harry kidnapped me a few days ago and I've been putting up with him ever since."

Her face falls when she hears this. "I'm sorry. I thought he might've finally found a girl he liked, but I guess that's silly. I mean, it is Harry. He's more of a hit it and quit it type of guy. I'm guessing he gave you that outfit too," her eyes scan my tiny dress and I nod. "But on the bright side, he hasn't killed you yet so he must have a reason."

My mouth goes dry at the thought of him killing me but I nod and keep talking to her. I haven't encountered anyone who seems this normal since being back at school. "He said I'm supposed to do chores and basically be his arm candy."

"Hm. Well you're really pretty, I gotta give him credit for picking a good one," she gushes.

For the first time in a few days, I smile. "You too. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, anything!"

I like this girl. Finally maybe someone can get me some answers.

"Are you Liam's girlfriend?" I ask cautiously.

She nods and gets this strange look in her eyes. It's so obvious she loves him a lot.

"Um, I don't want this to come out wrong, but why?"

"Look, I know the whole gang thing is a lot. But he really does have a heart in there."

I didn't think people who were in gangs could be good. Mia's so lucky Liam cares about her. Harry's horrible to me.

"I know you think I'm crazy, but I swear he's amazing," she tries to convince me. I definitely feel like I can trust Mia, she just has a vibe that radiates positivity and she seems so genuine.

"I believe you."

Her smile reaches practically her whole face when she hears this. But her smile quickly changes to something more serious, changing the entire vibe of the room.

"We need to go back downstairs soon before the guys come looking for us. If I could help you out of this, I would. But I've known Harry for a while and I know this sounds horrible but if he wanted you hurt or dead, you would've been hurt or dead by now."

All I can do is nod and take her advice to heart. The thought of having to stay with him longer makes my stomach churn but I guess she has a point. He hasn't tried to physically hurt me yet.

Other than the kidnapping and the drug thing, but he said that was an accident. Strangely I don't think he's lying about that.

Before I know it, Mia's standing up and I know we have to go back to the hell downstairs now.

"Ask Harry to let you call me if you ever need to talk, he'll reach me through Liam. I really hope we can hang out again, and I mean an actual hang out, not a fake restroom break," she giggles at that last part and pulls me into a hug before we head back to the guys.

"Thank you so much," I say quietly as we walk back. "I hope to see you again soon."

She nods and pats my shoulder just as we reach the living room we were in before.

When we walk in, Liam stands up and tells Mia it's time for them to leave as I reluctantly take my seat next to Harry again. Hopefully them leaving means Harry and I will leave soon too.

The boys say their goodbyes and Mia shoots me a knowing look as they walk out the front door.

Although it was nice to make a friend for a few minutes, I can't focus on that now.

I'm back to being alone.

A minute later, I'm snapped out of my thoughts when Harry tugs on my wrist to stand me up from the couch.

Thank god. I can't stand the cryptic gang business talk anymore.

Harry nods a goodbye to his friends and we're almost out the door when I hear Louis shout "Bye attitude whore!" And my blood boils.

"Like I said, it's Layla," I turn around and glare just as I walk out the door.

The second the front door closes, I know I messed up again.

Harry's grip on my wrist tightens until it's painful and he lengthens his strides in order to reach the car.

If he wasn't holding me so tight, I definitely would've fallen on my face trying to keep up with him.

He drags me over to my side and shoves me in the car. Strangely, he pauses on the way back to his side. What's he doing?

But all too soon he continues and gets in the car. I can hear his somewhat heavy breathing as he peels out of the driveway and speeds down the empty roads even faster than before.

Does this man even know what a speed limit is?

I don't dare say anything, but Harry doesn't hesitate. The second he opens his mouth I squeeze my eyes shut and brace myself.

"I warned you Layla. I told you to fucking behave yourself but you don't listen," he shouts. This is almost worse than the quiet angry voice I've already heard because he seems like he's exploding.

"Don't talk back to me. Don't talk back to my fucking friends. I'm trying so fucking hard not to kill you right now! How hard is it to shut your fucking mouth?"

I squeeze my eyes even tighter, not daring to look at him. Is he really thinking about killing me for this? All I did was defend myself against his disgusting friend.

As Harry continues to fill the car with his screams, my mind drifts off to earlier. He wouldn't let me smoke. He wouldn't let me feel better. I wish I could feel better right now.

Harry yelling at me reminds me of the first time we met and he yelled at me. But then he made it all better with that shot of heroin.

With the heroin I couldn't hear the shouting and I can honestly say that was the best I've ever felt. Why can't he give me it this time?

Suddenly we're home and I'm forced to open my eyes. I didn't even realize he had stopped yelling. But when I see Harry, he's gripping the steering wheel so tight it seems like he could crush it, high jaw is clenched hard as he stares straight ahead at the house, and there's a vein in his neck that's way more prominent than before.

I wait quietly for him to get out of the car but he's taking forever.

This wouldn't be so boring if you were high again, my subconscious tells me.

I can't say I disagree.