Chapter One

People generally see
what they look for, and hear
what they listen for.
-
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harper Lee

____________________________

"Turn it off. Turn it off," I croon sleepily as my hand sweeps out in the direction of the noise blaring from the alarm, missing it over and over as the beeping continues to torture me.

"Jesus, shut that shit off."

Shut that mouth of yours and go to work.

Jesus!

I throw the blankets away and rush towards the washroom. After relieving myself and washing my hands, I duck my head down to the faucet and slurp in gulp after gulp of cool water. The soothing sensation feels like Heaven. My mouth still tastes like shit. Yuck! Grabbing my toothbrush, I squirt a mammoth glob of toothpaste on the worn bristles and scrub the hell out of my mouth. I took a short shower, choose my clothes carefully. I have a court hearing today so I need to be the best in my appearance. My appearance has an enormous role in boosting my confidence. I applied some lip gloss and mascara. Makeup was never my thing and I know very well that I don't need it. I shoved all the necessary things into my briefcase before running for my Mercedes. I get inside the car, glance at my watch at 7:45. It's just a fifteen minutes drive to my office.

I arrived at Allison Firm nearly an hour earlier than needed, but that was fine with me, since I had a tote bag full of deliveries to make first. To begin with, I trooped to the basement and visited Harry's workroom. After placing the cup of coffee on the table, I left a baggie of cookies and a cheerful note for the janitor. I made my way to the neighbouring house next, where I left another cookie-filled bag with a cup of coffee to the security who smiled at me.

"Another case?" George, the security asks, nodding at the cookies. I nod with a smile.

"Take your share and give the remaining to your boss. I need him to be on my side today," I mutter, winking at him.

"You know the Judge will never fall for your cookies."

True!

Shut up.

I chuckle. "I'm sure one day he'll beg me for a cookie."

Edward Mark Johnson, the honorable Judge is none other than the guy whom I am trying to bribe with cookies and chocolates. I never fail to deliver his coffee and he knows to expect one along with some cookies or chocolates when I have a court hearing. He refuses to take it every time I bring him something to eat but I never stop.

Why?

It's always good to have a judge on your side.

C'mon, you know he won't fall for your bribery.