18. Leaving Behind Everything

Vergil watched Katherine slept next to him. He tucked a strain of hair from her cheek and brushed her long hair with his finger. It would be the last time he saw her. That man decided to leave Fortuna. He stood up from the bed and changed his clothes. Vergil stared at the small house and walked away.

The night air was cold. It reminded him of his first arrival in Fortuna. He almost reached the border of the town. All he had to do was finding a ship. However, a soft voice called his name.

"Vergil, where are you going?"

Vergil turned around and saw Katherine was standing behind him. She had been running to find him. That woman left in a hurry without wearing a shoe or coat. Vergil cursed his hesitation. He should have left that afternoon since now Katherine caught him leaving her.

That woman was confused. She walked forward, but he stepped back. "Vergil, are you okay? What's wrong?"

"I'm leaving, Katherine."

"What? But..."

"Why did you lie to me? Why did you burn the letter?"

Her expression was distorted, a mix of aghast and regret. Guilt painted across her face. She was the one who destroyed Arkham's letter and slew all demon who sent him the letter. She had been doing it to prevent his departure.

Her voice was strained. "I... I know you will leave once you read the letter. You have been breaking the seal to Sparda's power." She trembled. "But I cannot let you go! I saw a vision, Vergil. Yamato was broken, you are heavily injured and being swallowed by darkness. I don't want that to be your future!"

Katherine forced herself to smile and extended her hand, "Come back, Vergil. You don't need power. We can live together in happiness."

Vergil heard desperation behind her sweet words. He realized it was her way to lure him in. It was sickening how he fell for it. He refused to be trapped for the second time. Vergil turned around without saying anything to her. Katherine bit her nail. He did not know what he would face. She could not let him leave, not like this.

A fireball flew on his direction. Vergil was fast enough to dodge it. He looked at Katherine in awe. She just used a spell to assault him. That woman was reluctant to fight but would not back down.

"I will stop you, Vergil! I don't care how I do it!"

He growled, "Get back, Katherine."

"No! You don't know what you're doing!" She screamed. "You just want power, so you never get hurt again!"

That word snapped something inside him. A spectral sword dashed, grazing her cheek. Vergil did not understand his abrupt reflex. He just attacked Katherine.

"Katherine, I-"

"You know it, don't you? Your true reason for pursuing power."

The fight was inevitable. Katherine attacked him relentlessly, forcing Vergil to use Yamato. Each blow was painful and torturous. None of them wanted to put down their weapon.

"Why did you return that day? Why didn't you just leave? Why did you hold me that night?"

Vergil had no answer to her question. Katherine tried to drag him back with words and power. She coughed up violently, blood spilt up from her mouth. However, her eyes were not wavering. She would do anything to get him back, even if it killed her. Vergil hated the fact that she waged death over him.

He had to end it.

Human was fragile. Human was born weak and inferior. Human unable to defend themselves against stronger enemies. Since the beginning, the result was clear. She lost the battle. Vergil caught her before she hit the ground. Katherine stared at him with eyes of a broken woman. Her hand kept hitting him, but it was not hurt. She had lost all of her strength during the fight. Eventually, Katherine stopped and cried in his chest. "Please don't go. Please..."

They started the same way, losing their family and growing in pain. At the same time, they were also very different. Vergil fought to pursue power while Katherine fought to stop the tragedy. He threw his emotion, but she embraced it. He pushed people from his life, and she accepted them. He thrived for perfection and more strength while she was content with her life.

The more attached he was, the harder it was for leaving. What was the point of staying if he could not protect her? He did not want to remember the pain of losing someone he dear. It was foolish of him to live in the same world as her. He repeated countless sins and did not deserve such a blessing. Vergil wanted more than living in a peaceful city. He needed more power to defeat his brother and governed hell.

"My existence would just bring you harm."

"You have another choice, Vergil. Think about it one more time..."

He kissed her forehead for the last time. Vergil bid her farewell with a weak smile. "Goodbye, Katherine."

"Vergil-"

He made her unconscious in one attack. Vergil carried her back to her house and put her on the bed. He noticed a trail trace of tears on her cheek. That man never thought he would be a reason for her sorrow. He wiped it with his finger, caressing her beautiful face for the last time.

He would leave this guilt and the rest of his emotion behind him.

When she woke up, the morning had come. Next to her bed was nothing. It was as he never been in there. The only remain was the ring on her finger. A suffocating mourn and endless despair filled her chest.

When Rachel opened the door, everything was a mess. Katherine knocked and threw every furniture in rage. Tears were flowing from her eyes. That man left her broken-hearted, bearing the consequences. Rachel knew everything and hugged Katherine, the only thing she could do to calm her sorrow. In the middle of her cry, she bitterly spoke about her failure.

"I'm sorry, Mrs Eva. I'm failed..."

Author note:

Don't look at me, I have angst written in tag, LOL.

I like to think the reason why Vergil didn't like to talk about Fortuna is that he and Nero's mom split in a bad term... and being Nelo Angelo screws his memory.

Also because I like angst. Vergil and angst are good shit.