Chapter II ✠ Shallow Cuts

Start from the beginning

"You see now, and I am the Queen, you wench! I have you all surrounded. There is no use in this petty squabble. Now, if you would please." Una said, squirming in the man's grip.

"You have found me, the ruler of this land, now what do you want. Gold, land, my head?" Una said.

Suddenly the man holding her in place loosened his grip as if what Una said distracted him. That was a mistake on his part. Una swiftly sunk and was able to twist herself underneath him. She knocked one of his legs from under him and pulled his arm to his back. She then slammed him to the ground before he could make a murmur. Una had him pinned in a position that even the strongest man could not move from.

They all began to shout in another language, the same language that Una's family assassinator used to order his soldiers. This made Una start to swell with anger, and she pushed even harder down on the man, enough where he began to wince in pain. She could feel his shoulder popping, almost to the point of dislocation. She did not care. These were Danes, these were Vikings, and they were all evil in her eyes.

Una could see she was in quite the predicament. Darren was pinned down like this man under her. The women of the group were trying desperately to flee, and they both were surrounded. No blood has been shed yet, but Una feared it might come to that if she cannot find out their prerogatives here.

"You fail to answer me again," Una shouted as she could feel the man squirm from under her.

"You wretched whore! We will tell you nothing!" The man said.

"I will ask you once more why you have come. I don't want to use force, but you leave me no choice." Una shouted as she pressed harder on the man's arm.

"Eahh!" He cried out, trying to push up, but it only dislocated his arm.

"Now, Darren, call your men!" Una ordered.

"Yes, my lady." He said, barely under the weight of the three men on top of him.

They were thin but still firm. Darren was Una's right hand, just like she had been to her brother at one time. Darren was the best fighter in Snowdonia, alongside Una. For the past three years, he helped Una develop strategies for overtaking back the lost land during Una's father's reign.

So far, they had taken back well over ninety percent, and Una suspects that these intruders are from the last segment of the lands, the unconquered region. This was where Eurion lost his life. Una was most hesitant about going there, so she has saved it for the last fight.

Darren called for his men, and they came pouring in, swords pointing down at everyone. The woman was flung against the ground like rag dolls. The three men have pulled away from Darren, and he walked over to Una.

"Are you alright?" He asked, holding his hand out to Una.

"Quite." She said, taking it as she dismounted the back of the man.

Before she could completely move away, the man grabbed her leg and pulled her down. Una slammed against the hard floor, and within an instant, the man was on top of her back with a knife, trying to plunge it through her neck.

Una grabbed the man's arm with the knife and twisted it back before the guards could react. He couldn't use his dislocated arm to help push against Una's grip. She turned under him and grabbed his neck, and swung him into the ground where Una was on top of him. She pushed his neck into her hand so hard that his face turned dark red. His other hand with the knife was nearly white from being crushed in Una's other hand.

"Una!" Darren cried out!

She looked up at him, and she released his grip, though she hesitated. Una wanted to kill him, but she knew she did not reserve the right to do so just yet. It was not until she heard the words that they were there for blood.