24 - Brothers

Jermaine finished tucking in his kids and after kissing them good night, he flicked the lights off and locked himself in his study.

He didn't want to be bothered by his increasingly estranged wife Hazel and now that the children were asleep, he had no business being around the house.

He grabbed a bottle of scotch and a glass, sat down on his enormous executive chair, resting his feet on his desk. He quietly drank as his eyes mindlessly wandered around the wooden walls, until they halted at the framed family photos that hung neatly arranged in a hexagonal shape.

He stood up and walked over to take a closer look as he twirled the glass in his right hand.

There was one photo that caught his particular attention. Michael and him, at the beach, when they were kids.

Their big smiles and playful spirit was perfectly portrayed in that single image. They used to get along so well, despite their evergoing competition.

Why did they compete though? Was it something Michael caused or was it actually promoted by their abusive, selfish father?

That cute little boy was always there for him. Even when they fought, he never failed to turn the other cheek. He was always approachable and understanding, always had a word of encouragement and a loving hug to give.

Jermaine wondered why would he willingly throw that away for the sake of his father's business? What could he get out of it? Money? Approval?

Was Joseph ever going to approve of him? Because no matter what he did, it was never enough.

He choked back a couple of tears as he stared into his little brother's sweet brown eyes. Did little Mike deserve what they were doing to him?
Jermaine knew he was taking it too far, but his jealousy and his uncontrollable need to prove himself to his father clouded his judgment.

He turned around and glanced over at the half-finished scotch bottle that rested on his desk. Maybe he was a little drunk and that's why he was having second thoughts... He figured he should sleep it off and sort out his feelings in the morning.

He took the framed picture from the wall and sloppily traced his little brother's gentle face with his finger as a tear managed to fall down his cheek. He held the portrait against his chest.

"I'm sorry M-Mikey..."

***
"I tell you, Julie, she's going back in no time. Stop worrying or you'll get wrinkles." Adriana joked with a smile as she adjusted her big Gucci sunglasses.

"I don't trust Jermaine and neither should you. I shouldn't have let you do business with him." Juliette nervously brushed her hair away from her face as the waitress placed their frappuccinos on their table.

"Julie, that guy is harmless. I'd be warier of the Jackson Laura's with. He's the one that wants to take you down."

The Madama licked her lips as she twirled the straw to get the whipped cream to mix with the beverage.
"I can't believe Günther hasn't found her yet. That little bitch hid well and I'm losing tons of money every single day she's not working. I even lost clients!"

Adriana took a sip and thought about what her sister in law just said.
"What if I lure her out?"

Le Bon stared at her for a couple of seconds as she cocked her head and squinted her eyes, actually considering it. "And how would you reach her?"

"I worked with Michael's sister, she could deliver the message. That way, he won't link me to you."

Juliette smiled and reached for her hand across the table. "You're so brilliant."