-3-

-Liam- 

This wasn't how I wanted to spend my Friday evening. My plan from the jump was to go to the gym, meet up with Nate at Top Rack and then see where the night took us. That usually entailed going to a bar, picking up a girl and taking her home. Instead, I had been summoned. - And that's putting it nicely.

Joey Kaine had called, stating that Archie Andersson wanted to meet with me. Who the fuck were these people? I helped with one race, and they now want to meet with me. Did I enjoy myself in the pits? - Sure, it was fun laughing with these guys like I had known them for years. However, I hadn't known them for years, and honestly I fucking hated Joey Kaine.

We had worked together down at the fire station for the last couple of years. We both took the lieutenants test at the same time, and there was a bit of tension between the two of us because he passed on the first time. That caused a bit of a sore spot, although I had to remind myself until I took the test again that Joey went to Vandbilt, he graduated Summa Cum laude or some bullshit. He was a smarty pants and I was an asshole who barely passed high school.

Although I wasn't academically blessed, I was at the top of my class at Alabama Fire College. When I found something I really enjoyed, I was able to fully grasp the material. That is until the lieutenants test. Hell, I still have trouble spelling lieutenant and I passed it on the second try. Then came the promotions.

Ever since I had been picked to take over for the Squad Lieutenants spot, it seemed he was out to get me. Which is a damn shame, because before the promotion, we were friendly. I had liked Joey well enough, he was fun each year at the fire banquet. Hell, he even threw one hell of a Fourth of July party, but his attitude shift changed the way I saw him.

It's why I was a bit shocked when he called me out of the blue this past weekend, asking me to help with one of his friends' amateur races. I knew who it was before I met her. Joey wasn't very subtle about his gorgeous friend who could make it to the level of elite racing status. - Nascar or something.

If I were his girlfriend...

Honestly, he was doing Sophia a bit of disservice when he talked about her beauty. Don't get me wrong, the girl with the burgundy hair could turn heads. - Nearly every pull she turned mine more than once. Of course, I knew from around town that you didn't mess with Sophia Andersson or else you would deal with a whole squad of jacked men, and boy I didn't want to cross Archie Andersson. But, even without officially meeting her, or knowing her, you knew there was more to her than just her looks.

If I didn't value my life, I would want to get to know Sophia a little bit better. I'm sure she would be a great fuck.

Part of me had hoped that she would be at Archie's when I got there. However, whatever hope I had was smashed when I passed her lifted GMC Denali truck in the middle of downtown. I guess she wasn't subjected to witnessing whatever hell I was going to be put through. Joey had mentioned something about helping Archie replace something. But I was still a bit shocked by their brazen attempt to force me to do something for them.

The driveway wasn't empty when I managed to pull around to the back of the house, per Joey's instructions. With a heavy sigh, I parked beside Joey's truck thankful to have some sort of buffer between Joey and Archie. I couldn't stew in my annoyance much longer as Archie was leaning against the carport, waiting for me, a smile on his face.

"Thanks for coming." Archie said as he shook my hand as I walked towards the carport. Ethan and Zak's truck were parked besides Joey's and I was glad I wasn't left alone with the two of them. "I hate to ask, but I needed all the help I could get to get the motor swapped out."