Chapter 1 = Stormy Rescue

May's POV

'I hate my life' I thought, reading over the reports of merformer attacks on the coast. I mean seriously if you don't want to be attacked then don't provoke them in the first place. 'Idiots'. I sigh getting up from my desk, grabbing my car keys from the hook on the wall, before heading down the long staircase of my house, that was also a marine and wildlife sanctuary. You see I live on the very edge of the ocean. My house is a huge two-story building, which is connected to at least 17 different marine tanks that are located just offshore with walkways to walk on. I am a marine biologist that lives on the very edge of a coastal city, which is about a half hour drive from my house, that is surrounded by the wildlife of both the sea, and land. I am not the biggest fan of loud places and loud people, so I live and work by myself.

I was driving down the road when I spotted a bunch of people on the dock and beach closer to the edge of town. They were all looking at something in the water, and some people seemed to have stepped back at something and to say my curiosity wasn't peeked, would be a lie. I parked the car nearby and got out to see what was going on. As I got closer people noticed me and moved out of my way, knowing who I was. I got in-front of the crowd to see a bunch of Mers being attacked by fishermen in the shallower ends of the beach. The mers were all huddled together protecting a yellow and black mer that looked to be a lot younger than the others. The biggest mer was blue and red and he was at the head of the group, most likely the leader. There was a black mer that looked ready to kill. Another one was yellow and green, who was growling at the men, when they got too close. The last one was silver that appeared to have some sort of a visor. I spotted one of the fishermen load a gun, and without another thought I jumped off the side of the dock, running in-between the mer and the fishermen, getting the water up to my knees and socking my brand-new shoes. Everyone was shocked, but didn't make a move.

"Leave the mers alone!" I ordered them, arms stretched out, blocking the guy with the gun.

"D. Leval, what are you doing? Those beasts have to die. They've been stealing from our traps again" stated the head fishermen, named Jerry. I growled, making the men flinch.

"You dare question me?" I asked/growled at him. he shook his head furiously.

"No, no. we'll leave" he replied, and just like that everyone dispersed, leaving the area. I turn to the mers. Two of them were growling at me, while another was frowning. The little one peeked out from behind the others, looking afraid, but also curious. The largest red and blue one narrowed his eyes at me.

"You might want to get out of here, before they come back" I said stepping away from them and getting out of the water. I heard splashes and turned to see them all dive back down into the water. I shrug getting out of the water and heading back to my car. I took off my shoes and put them in the back seat. I still had a few errands to run, like groceries, and medicine supplies to restock. I did them easily and then went back to my house where I started checking on all the sick animals I had in my care. There was a sea turtle I had named Shelly, who came in covered in plastic. Even though she went through painful times she was still my most active patient. She would follow me around the tanks as I made my daily rounds. Another patient was a baby dolphin that had washed up on the beach during a storm. He was a little shy at first, but soon became the most playful. I had named him Silver, because he looked so shiny in the light. He and Shelly ALWAYS played together, and would get upset when I separated them, so I put both of them in the same tank. My last patient was a seal that was attack by a great white that was spotted just offshore. The shark was captured and relocated, which was good. I had named the seal, Oskar and he had a large bite on his back from the shark. He was lucky to survive, but he isn't strong enough to go out on his own just yet. I let out a long sigh as I finish the check-ups. Now the only thing to do was check and clean the tanks and then head to bed. Slipping my arms into the wetsuit I had halve on, I zipped it up and grab a breathing mask from the shed.