Chapter 8 = Questions More Than Answers

May's POV

I park the car in-front of the large red and white building, grabbing my phone and swiftly leaving my car. I make sure to lock the car behind me as I make my way towards the entrance of the building. Pushing the large doors open, I hear a small chime sound that always dings when someone walks in.

"Good morning May. How are you today?" Sallie, the lady at the front desk, and one of my closest friends, politely asks.

"I'm doing fine, thank you for asking" I replied, with a small bow of my head.

"I heard about the mers you rescued. How are you holding up?" she questions. I release a sigh.

"Actually, that's why I'm here. I need books regarding the law of this city. I want to get mers around here protected and I unfortunately am going to have to play by the law" I explain unhappily. Sallie's expression turns to one of surprize before a kind smile forms.

"Well, I'd be honoured to help anyway I can. History and law is down the back on the left" she pointed out. Classic Sallie, always ready to help.

"Thank you" I reply heading to the back of the library.

I walk up and down the aisles of the extremely tall bookshelves, as my eyes carefully scan over the titles of said books on the shelves. I come to a stop when I hit the law books. I grab at least four different books to start with, each one thick with information regarding the law and history of the city. I then headed over to one of the small round tables and started going through the contents of each book.

I read over everything within those books, starting with basic rights to traffic laws. 'BORING' I found myself shouting in my head more than once every time I turned to a new topic in the books. I'm not sure how long I sat there reading for, but when I had finished, I slumped back in my seat and release an annoyed groan.

"Having some trouble?" Sallie asks, seeming to appear out of nowhere. I sit up straight, slightly started before replying.

"Yes, I've read 4 of these damn books already and the only useful thing I found out about would be how to have a new law for the city created. I don't even know how long I've been here for" I said, starting to question myself.

"You've been here for nearly 4 and a half hours" Sallie replied, checking her watch. I laugh.

"No wonder I'm hungry. Its lunch time isn't it?" I ask. She nods.

"Would you like to join me. I have an hour lunch break in a few minutes and one of the new employees I hired is coming in to take over. We could head to that cute little coffee shop down the street, just like old times?" she offers. I rub my face.

"Sure, why not? I need a break from all this crap anyway" I laugh, while glaring at the books. Sallie tries to hide her giggles behind her hand, but I could still see the amusement on her face. I place the books back on the shelf in their rightful places before following Sallie out the front doors of the library. We walked down the street. Cars flying by as we walked the old crusty path alongside the road. We past several stores, mainly consisting of jewellery and beach products. We were only walking for about five minutes when I smelt the usual scent of coffee. The consistent colours of greys, browns and white along the walls and ceiling make for a calm and relaxed location.

"I'll find us a table" I offered.

"Okay, but aren't you going to get anything?" She asks, curiously.

"Not a coffee fan" I replied, with a wave of my hand. She nodded before heading up to the counter, while I found a nice clean table aside and in the shade for us to sit. Sallie soon came back with her coffee and a bag of familiar candys.