XVI

Throughout February and March, the trio would balance their lives with schoolwork, Regius Obligatus, military training, and for Alexander, royal engagements with Douglas as his Private Secretary. Recruitment soars across all branches, as the constructions for all sites in existing branches are amid production. The main headquarters in London is now forty per cent finished, as there was more labour available for some reason. Maybe people wanted to experience working for the Crown, for a time. Who knows?

It was a repeat - school, meetings, training, royal engagements, and what not - until Isabelle's birthday, Friday 16th April 1926. Alexander managed to get away from the University once again, as Douglas and Hugo would be catching up some alone time while Alexander is away, who apparently expects them to continue working. Like they would.

The two discussed Alexander being in love with Isabelle as the person in question is on his way to Paris.

"He's love-struck, but alas, he doesn't know it," Douglas told Hugo, who snickered.

"When he first met Isabelle, he fell head over heels. Alexander would, of course, deny all of this but, let's keep all of this to ourselves," Hugo told him, who nodded. Douglas then looked at a stack of paperwork.

"Being his Private Secretary is a lot of work, me juggling all of his paperwork every day," Douglas muttered as if he was complaining about it, before sighing.

Meanwhile, Alexander had arrived in Paris and made his way to the Palace of Versailles, where he was escorted by members of Regius Obligatus, including the Head and Deputy Head of the French Branch, Andre Dumas and Edgar Delafose, who were in the car with him.

"What's the situation in the French Branch, Andre?" I asked him, as Andre and Edgar glanced at one another before Andre replied.

"The situation here includes the increased recruitment of the French recruits, and we have the head and deputies of each department. The Letters, translated into French, were sent to the agents, as well as the original English copies. The French Branch, of course, has invested into the local restaurants, and hotels, and the industries, sir."

"And what of the budget?"

"The budget is aligned with the headquarters' budget, and the profit is put into an account under my name in the BNP Paribas, a very trusted bank here in France."

Alexander nodded.

"I expect a weekly report as well as a monthly and yearly report in my office in London, is that understood?"

"Yes, sir," Both replied as they soon arrived at the Palace of Versailles.

"How many agents have been recruited so far?" Alexander asked as we made our way to a ballroom.

"360 Privates, sir, alongside 140 Staff Sergeants, 70 Warrent Officer Class 2 and 28 Warrant Officer Class 1, sir," Andre replied.

Alexander nodded, and before he asked another question, he saw King Francios I and King Christian X. Alexander bowed, as did Andre and Edgar.

"Your majesties," Alexander greeted them.

"Alexander? What are you doing here?" Isabelle asked Alexander when she made her way down to the main hall with her mother. Alexander immediately straightened himself and consciously made his hair neater, not that anyone would notice, in Alexander's mind, would they?

"Business," Alexander replied bluntly, in a matter of fact tone before turning to King Francois (Antoine), trying to hide the true reason why he's there, "I believe I have a meeting session with you, sir?"