He Was Always Tired

"I thought something was strange when Amanah Baten took an interest in the Human World and returned with a girl enrolled into the Academy," A familiar voice came from behind Christopher and he slowly turned to face someone he thought he had left behind in the past.

"Rufus Garcia, why am I not surprised to find you turning up years later?" Christopher breathed out. "You never knew how to keep your head down."

"Not all of us were lucky as you to get out," Rufus stared at Chris's jogging attire, unimpressed. "You got soft."

"My mind is sharp as ever," He quipped back. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Who do you think got Amanah assigned to your kids' case?" Mr Garcia said pointedly. "She called in a favour but of course Richard is interested to know how a human girl has an ability and how much she actually got to do with the explosion."

"Right," Christopher understood, he did. "How much do you want?"

"Its not the matter of money," Rufus looked around carefully and then faced his old friend once again. "Its about what you can do."

"I got out, Rufus," Christopher's voice was tight. "I have a family. Don't drag me into whatever is happening back at home."

"I have a family too, you know?" Rufus retorted. "But we have to end what we started and before things escalate into something much worse."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Rufus answered his question with another question, "Does John know anything? About what happened or about this situation now?"

"Of course not," Christopher frowned. "I don't want him involved. What did you mean end what we started? Because I didn't leave any loose ends in Paladin when I left."

"You know it's only going to be a matter of time until he finds out, right?" Rufus got out a cigarette and lighted it up. Let's go somewhere private where we can speak safely."

***

"Hey, are you okay? You've been staring at the back of Felicia's head for over half an hour now," Lorna whispered to Illyria in history class, nudging her to catch her attention.

Illyria gave herself a brief shake, "Uh-yeah. I was just admiring her luscious locks. So...blonde."

Lorna gave her a weird look but turned back to the teacher as did Illyria.

"So, after investigating what we know about the next possible rule in line and if they are eligible, can someone tell me who is now next in line in Ishidil now that the Al'Amirat Almutawaja is missing, and the Prince has abdicated?" Asked Mrs Scarva, her beady eyes flitting around the room, her HGM showing a 3D map of Ishidil; it looked beautiful.

"Crown Prince Ira, alleged grandson of the current ruler's and son of the Missing Princess," Patrick called out from the back.

"Alleged," Vanessa sneered, "He's been confirmed as the Crown Prince for several years now. He had multiple DNA tests. There's no denying he's Ishidilian royalty."

"It's weird that he just showed up out of nowhere. It's clear that the Princess ran away for a reason, but then her son returns without any explanation?" A boy named Simon in front of Lorna and Illyria piped up despite herself. "Why would she let her son return all alone?"

Murmurs broke out and Lorna shifted awkwardly in her seat and whispered into Illyria's ear, "Well this is uncomfortable." Lorna was obligated to not speak about her political beliefs openly as she would join the Assembly at the age of sixteen; it was important for members to stay impartial and objective for the needs of Paragon's citizens needs to be met.

Mrs. Scarva cleared her throat to catch the student's attention and the class quietened down gradually, "This is history class. Not gossip 101. It's important to deal with the facts. And the correct term for Crown Prince in Ishidil is Wali Al-Ahd. Please remember that Ishidil's national language is Ishidilian, a variation of Arabic. Back to the current rulers of Ishidil..."

***

Illyria had Lorna pinned down to the ground, waited for her to tap out and when she did so, she helped her up, "You're getting better."

"You don't need to lie to me," Lorna rolled her eyes. "How are you so good anyway?"

"I took some classes," Ever since Illyria moved to the UK actually. "Do you want to go again?"

"No, I need a five-minute break," Lorna chugged heavily from her water bottle. "So, I heard Novak invited you to Aitor's birthday as his plus one."

"Yes, but just as friends," Illyria was quick to point out. "So, don't go getting any ideas."

"Of course, he invited you as just friends," Lorna said, matter-of-fact.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Lorna waved her question away, "Novak has a lot of friends. So many that he doesn't have time for girlfriends. Anyway, are you coming? Its so exclusive. We're renting out a place, but we haven't decided which one yet."

"I think if I even thought about showing up, your brother would shut it down," Illyria said dryly. "It's not worth the hassle."

"It would be fun plus when Damien starts his usual tirade, you'll be there to save me," Lorna pouted. "Just consider it. For me, please?"

"Damien?" Illyria scoffed. "You and Novak are really selling this, aren't you? But ill see what I can do."

Illyria had no intention in showing up to any party.

***

Sofia's eyes were glazed over as images of a city being burned, charred bodies and the screams of people in pain drummed into her head.

"Sofia," Sofia blinked, and she focused her eyes on the news as her older sister complained. "If you're not going to watch then I don't know why I can't have a turn."

"I thought I told you I need to watch the news."