chapter 8

"You realize that we can't keep this up?" You say to Zuko as he is brooding on his bed. You lean against the metal door staring at him. It's been months since he's been taking the role of the Blue Spirit. And every time you've covered for him.

"I am aware of that." He says as he sits up looking back at you. "I've covered my tracks every time." 

"That's not what I mean." You made your way towards him. "You barely made it out when you rescued the Avatar."

"That's enough!" He scowled. 

"Fine." You huffed back. "Don't expect me to cover for you anymore." Out of anger you pick up a candle from Zuko's small shrine, and threw it at him. Luckily the fire went out before it hit his right shoulder.

"(Y/N)!" He stood from his spot "What the hell was that for?" He stared you down.

"Because you're an idiot." You stood calmly keeping yourself from laughing at what you did. "Look I'm sorry that I hit you with a candle but you're still an idiot." You pushed off the door to retrieve the candle that laid broke on off the floor. You both heard a knock on the door. It was probably Iroh trying to get him to play an instrument with the crew.

"Come in." Zuko said calmly with a hit of anger in his voice. The door opened slowly. "For the last time I'm not playing the tsungi horn" he made his way back to his bed and laid there brooding some more.

"Will it kill you to spend some time with your uncle and the crew" you threw the broken candle at him again. "Plus you need to practice more anyways." You teased. Zuko lightly blushed at you teasing. You thought he was getting worked up because you threw the candle at him again.

"Actually it's about our plans." You both looked back at Iroh. "There's a bit of a problem." Iroh stepped aside to let someone else walk into the room.

"I'd hate to be interrupting a lover's quarrel." You turned around to see Zhao standing in the doorway "but I'm afraid I must get to the point." He glared at you. You only wished you had another candle to throw at Zhao. "I'm taking your crew." 

"WHAT!?" Both of you looked shockingly at the commander.

"I've recruited them for a little expedition to the North Pole." 

"Uncle is that true?" Zuko says you looked at his uncle hoping that Iroh would fight against the Commander's authority.

"I'm afraid so" iroh began to sniffle "he's taking everyone, even the cook." Y'all took a few steps forward toward Zuko.

"I'm sorry you won't be there for when I catch with the Avatar, but I cannot have you getting in my way." he said smugly as he drifted is gaze back and forth between you and Zuko. "Come along (Y/N) my ship desperately needs a maid." His smugly grin grew.

"She isn't part of the crew Zhao!" Zuko said as he ushered you behind his back trying to protect you from Zhao's predatorial like gaze. 

"She never was!" Iroh yelled.

"Can't a man joke." Zhao lifted his arms in defeat. Everyone in the room knew he wasn't joking. The three of you kept your eyes on the Commander as he took a turn about the room. He stopped right at the wall that held two broadswords. "I didn't know that you were skilled in broadswords, Prince Zuko?" 

"I'm not they're antiques." He spoke softly while catching worried gazes from you. "They're decorative."

"Have you heard of the Blue Spirit?" Zhao spoke to Iroh. Iroh began to say that he didn't believe that he existed. "He does exist and he's an enemy to the Fire Nation." He made his way towards the door. "General Iroh my offer to join my expedition still stands and you can bring your ward. She'll be something pretty to look at." He made you want to vomit right there.

"Over my dead body!" Zuko growled saying the exact thing you were about to say. Zhao laughed.

"If you say so." Zhao took a step out the door. "It was nice having this chat with you, Prince Zuko." He walked away from the room.

"Well I'll go see the crew off." Iroh walked away as well. It was just Zuko and you alone in his room.

"Do you think he bought it?" Zuko asked as he collapsed on his bed. 

"To tell you the truth" you also collapsed on his bed right next to him. "No. I don't think he did." You sighed. "Did you mean what you said?" You whispered to him.

"What?" He took a few seconds to realize what you meant. "Yes I'd rather die than let him take you or hurt you again." You wanted to push the topic further wanting to know his true feelings but you were too afraid to ask. For now you both took a stressful nap laying next to each other.

*later on that night.*

"(Y/N)?Zuko?" You heard the sing song voice of Iroh behind Zuko's door trying to get a response from one of you. You slowly opened your eyes; not bothering to sit up. It was dark now. You could feel warmth on your back you tried to sit up to see what was behind you. You felt something lightly constrict your waist that also confined your arms to your sides. Then it hit you. It was Zuko cuddling up against your back. "Zuko?" The door opened. Zuko squirmed as he heard the metal door open. Iroh walked in with a lantern in his hand to illuminate the room. He peered down at the two of you. You blushed trying to move away from Zuko, his grasp on you only tightened more.

"Five more minutes uncle." Zuko mumbled as he nuzzled into the crook of your neck. Iroh laughed at his nephew's response and your embarrassed face but you kept quiet not knowing what to do.

"I know you want to sleep nephew." Iroh's laugh grew louder. "But that's not a pillow!" He roared.

"What are you talking about?" Zuko opened his eyes still a little dazed. He lifted his head up slightly to that he had pinned you up against his chest. He blushed and he also noticed that you were flustered as well.

"Can you um." You lightly turned your head towards Zuko. "Let me go?" You stumbled on your words as you made eye contact with him. A part of Zuko didn't want to let you go, and he was fighting with himself if he should. It seemed like an eternity but Zuko eventually let you go. 

"I'm sorry (Y/N)," he sat up in his bed looking back at you. "But in my defense you're way too comfortable I couldn't resist cuddling you." He teased his revenge on you for teasing him about his tsungi horn skills. He partly meant it as a joke but he really did mean it. You just sat there too flustered to speak. Iroh laughed at his nephew's remark. Iroh was just too happy about the whole situation. 

"(Y/N) would you like to join me to go grab some food to cook." Iroh tried to stop laughing to form his sentence. You eventually laughed at the situation and agreed to join him to the market. Iroh asked Zuko to come but he really didn't want to go. 

"See you later." You stood from the bed and walked out of the room. It took several minutes to get off the ship. When you reached the dock you could hear a bird fly around. You looked around but didn't see any birds around. It seemed odd but didn't pay any mind to it.

 Iroh and yourself were walking up a slightly large hill. A loud explosion could be heard from a short distance from where you stood. You looked behind and began to run back towards the dock tripping every now and then. You could hear Iroh to wait but you couldn't. You knew Zuko was in danger