Chapter Seven

The wind was howling loudly and the sound of the booming thunders was deafening

The wind was howling loudly and the sound of the booming thunders was deafening. Sighing, Emma threw the covers off of her chilled body. With weary eyes, she glanced at the empty oversized couch that Damian usually occupied. It was barely visible in the darkness. It was unmade and the pillows laid exactly where he had last left them.

He usually did tidy the couch up every morning but he had left that morning in a hurry. With the unpredictable path of the storm, he was forced to leave earlier than expected.

It was then that she realized why exactly she was able to sleep throughout the nights as of lately. His presence was comforting her. He was providing her with a sense of security. She didn't understand it one bit. As she tried to evaluate the situation, she reminded herself of the things he was obviously capable of.

"You know that he's dangerous and yet still you've attached yourself to him," she chided herself as she tugged her hair in frustration.

She always found it hard to believe that he was the same man that took a knife to her. She gently traced the fading scars on her hand as the memory of her second encounter with him replayed in her mind. He had never shown her that side of him again. He was so patient with her that she couldn't help but think that it was only a matter of time before his other side would show. Would he lose his patience with her one day? That was a question she would ponder on ever so often.

Slipping out of the bedroom, Emma walked down the dimly lit halls. It was mostly empty except for the few scattered guards here and there. As Damian promised, they were always polite to her and didn't disturb her in any way.

She walked around for a few minutes before she decided to head back to the bedroom. Still unable to sleep, she tumbled through some of her possessions in the closet until she found her sketch pad and pencils.

It had been years since she had last done any sketching. She quickly settled on the bed and propped herself up against the headboard. After a quick inspection of the pieces she had sketched in the past, she found an unused sheet and got to work. Hours later when she concluded the piece, a tired yawn escaped her mouth. She lazily placed the drawing supplies on the bedside table and switched the bedside lamp off.

Despite her tired state, she was still unable to fall asleep. She quickly slipped out from under the covers and she found herself moving towards the couch Damian usually occupied. She hesitantly pulled the covers back and laid down on the unmade couch. Damian's scent instantly invaded her nostrils and she gave a thankful sigh as she eyelids began to droop. With his scent comforting her, she fell into a deep slumber.

As the days went by, Emma found herself still sleeping on the couch. During the days, she tried to busy herself as much as she could. She would spend a few hours each day reviewing her medical books and quizzing herself. She would then spend the rest of her time either drawing, looking at the television or cooking and baking.