"No, I'm sure El will tell you later on." Mike mumbled making Dustin roll his eyes. "You are no fun."

"Whatever." A little while later El came back out of the kitchen and stood next to Mike. "You guys hungry?"

"At this point, we'd just be eating out of boredom." Dustin deadpanned. "Yeah, I know, but I'm seriously beyond bored, and I know all of you are too. I'll just make fries or something."

"Yeah, sure. Dustin and I could make the fries and you could make some shakes if you want." Mike suggested. El nodded, "Okay sounds good." Mike and Dustin walked to the back of the kitchen and started preparing the fries, and El got 3 milkshake glasses out and started making them.

Soon enough everything was done and they were all sitting at their table and dipping fries into their milkshakes. It was still boring as hell, but it was better than just sitting around and staring at the clock.

"I remember when I first started to work here?" Dustin asked as he suddenly spoke up. El giggled at the memory, "Yeah, he was a waiter and he was bringing food out to this huge family and he gave them all the wrong thing." El said, telling the story to Mike.

"That's why I stick to cooking in the back. Oh wait, what about that one time when El fell asleep in the middle of the day?" Dustin snickered.

"You what?" Mike laughed, "I fell asleep on the counter.."

"How?"

"I don't know! I got here super early as usual and then I put my head down and soon enough I was asleep." El muttered. "Oh my gosh, Mike do you remember the first day you came in here?" Dustin asked.

Mike groaned, "Yeah.."

"You spilled your milkshake all over my shoes." El giggled. "Still sorry about that." Mike added.

"I'm not because if you didn't, then we probably wouldn't even be together."

"Yeah.. that's true." Mike said with a chuckle. For the next few hours of being there, the three teens reminisced memories of the diner until soon it was time for the diner's last close. Dustin left soon after El turned the 'OPEN' light off for the last time, but Mike stopped El before she turned the lights off.

"Wait, before you turn the lights off," Mike said, El looked back at him from where she was standing. "What?"

"Would you like to have one last dance with me before we go?" He asked shyly. El smiled and walked away from the light switch, "Of course."

Mike put a few quarters into the jukebox near the corner and selected a song, which El recognized immediately. The first song they ever danced to, Sleep Walk. Mike smiled at her and held his hand out for her, "Take this dance, m'lady?"

El took his hand and giggled. "Always." She put her arms around his neck and he put his around her waist, pulling her close to him. El smiled up at him and that's when Mike remembered the whole reason he was doing this.

He had to tell her he loved her.. but how? Why didn't he think of this sooner? He could kick himself right now.

El lightly hummed the tune to herself and closed her eyes as she danced with him. She felt the whole world disappear around her. It was just her, the music, and Mike. That's all that mattered.

When she opened her eyes again she looked up to Mike and gave him a small smile. And then, he said it before his mind could even comprehend what he was saying.

"I love you." He said quickly, almost regretting the words as soon as they came out of his mind. El's eyes widened, did he really just say that? Or was she hallucinating it? "What?" She had to ask, she really needed to make sure she heard him correctly.

"I love you," He repeated, "From the first time you smiled at me. Maybe I didn't know it back then, but I do now and I've never been more sure of anything else in my life. When we went to the county fair, and when you helped me get over Chloe and realize that you were the one for me. I love you."

El grinned widely, it was real. She wasn't imagining it.

She leaned up and kissed him to say that she did too. She pulled away and smiled up at him, "I love you too."

Maybe it was the significance of a simple spilled milkshake that sparked the whole thing. The seemingly normal day would later turn into something she never quite expected. It might have been fate, or maybe it was just a silly puppy love that brought them together in the end.

THE END

❤︎

Author's Note:

thank you all for reading this book, I know i gave up at the end but I hope you liked this :D but yes, this book is finally at end and I decided not to do an epilogue, so here's the end. but now that this is finally come to an end I can focus on A Summer With Horses and Adore you... andddd how would you guys feel about a fillie texting au??

I have the whole thing planned out and the first chapter done, so if you want me to do that I will gladly post it!

But thank you again for reading and I hope you enjoyed the story <3 also didn't really read over this lol