Tell me the truth

Song: Song for me by Greer

❤︎

El woke up early the next day around 4:30 to prepare for work, when she got dressed into her waitress attire she walked into Chloe's room to tell her she was off to work. She shook her shoulder gently and the girl's eyes opened quickly.

"I'm off to work. When you wake up later my dad will be here so have fun with that." Chloe nodded and shoved her head back into the pillow beneath her head. El stood up and walked out of the room and walked outside to her car.

The sky was still dark as it always was when she left and was still dark when she arrived at the diner. She walked in the dark building and flipped on all the light switches. She started brewing coffee and tea and then made breakfast for herself.

After an hour of being there and getting ready for the day she saw Mike's car pull into the parking lot. She smiled to herself and went to unlock the door for him. She opened it for him when he was walking towards the glass door and he walked inside.

"Hey," She said with a small smile. "hey, how was everything last night?" El walked behind the counter and started making him a coffee. "It was good, we talked and had a good time last night." Mike grinned at her, "really? Everything went okay?"

She nodded, "Yeah! Did you not expect us to get along?" El asked, "No, I did. I just wanted to be sure you were telling the truth." She rolled her eyes at him and passed him his coffee. Though everything did go okay she didn't have the best time hearing about how Chloe admitted that she loved Mike. That was great.

"I think I want to take her out tonight," Mike said randomly, El raised her eyebrows in alarm. "Yes? Where? She mentioned she didn't like going out in public."

"Yeah, I know. But I have to tell her something and I want it to be special."

"What are you proposing to her?" El snorted, "No! I just wanted to take her out but I don't know where."

"Well, what do you have to tell her? That can help with picking out the place and setting the mood and all that." Mike played with his fingers and stared down at the countertop while he answered. "I love her and thought, what the hell? I'm gonna tell her."

He said that right as she was taking a sip of her coffee, and she almost spit it back out into the cup. El felt her heart drop to the ground. She knew that he already did as if it wasn't obvious enough but she wasn't expecting to hear them both admit it to her in under 24 hours. It was just too much for her to handle.

"W-What?" She stammered, "I want to tell her I love her." Mike said as he was quite nervous himself. "Oh, um... well do you want it to b-be like... fancy? Or casual?"

Frick, why do I put myself in situations like this? When do I ever learn to shut up?

"I don't know...I mean I don't know if she'll feel the same so I don't want it to be like: we're at a fancy restaurant and I tell her and then she doesn't feel the same and then we have to sit in an awkward silence in this fancy restaurant.."

Mike continued but El stopped listening. Her mind went to an entirely different planet- galaxy even. She wasn't even able to think straight right now. She should be happy for them, right? They're both in a healthy relationship and they both love each other, the dream relationship, right?

"El?" His voice snapped her back into reality, "yeah?"

"Are you okay? You don't look so good." Mike said, "Um, yeah. I'm fine."