one last dance

Not editing??? Couldn't be me 🤡🤡

❤︎

The week has gone by slow, which was to be expected but when Friday arrived it didn't seem real. To be honest, the whole summer went by in a blur and El couldn't believe it was almost over. Especially that it had to end in such an awful way. With the diner closing.

El was heartbroken. It might seem silly that she is so attached to a restaurant, but it was her first job, she's had a lot of fun there, and last but definitely not least, it's where she and Mike met. That day he walked into the diner, El would never thought that a few months later she would be dating him. It just seemed so unreal.

He started coming in to ask her for advice about his bitchy girlfriend, and now here they are. Boyfriend and girlfriend. El couldn't believe the shit she had to go through in order for it to go this way, but she's happy it ended with the way that it did.

Speaking of endings, the diner was on its final day here in Hawkins. It's been up since 1957 when waitresses had to serve your food on rollerskates (boy is El glad she didn't have to do that) but now here it is 30 years later coming to a close. Old customers that had been coming here ever since they were teens couldn't believe it when El told them.

She explained that Benny's Diner just outside of town ran all of their customers away. El still didn't understand, what was so special about that diner anyways?

But here it was, the last day and El couldn't be more devastated.

❤︎

Mike knew all to well before he walked into the diner that today was going to be a sad day for El. He was sad that the diner was closing too, but he knew it meant so much more to El than it did to him.

Though Mike had somewhat of a plan, to cheer her up. Hopefully it would work and distract her for a little bit. He was kind of nervous too, because he had something to tell her. He just couldn't keep it in anymore, and maybe it was too soon but he was certain of it.

He knew he loved El, there was no doubt about it and he had to tell her tonight.

He had the whole night planned out, and hopefully it would go accordingly.

❤︎

The last day dragged on and it was painful. All three teens just stood up front and watched the hands on the clock move slowly. Minutes felt like hours. The whole day was moving in slow motion and El hated it.

She wanted something to do. She already cleaned everything and put everything away. There was no one to serve. It was all done and she didn't know what else to do.

Dustin sat on the countertop and stirred his chocolate milkshake with his straw. Mike and El stood next to the milkshake machine and stared out the door with boredom.

"Well this sucks ass." Dustin said as he glanced around the empty diner. El nodded slowly and picked at her nails. "I just want something to do." She sighed. Dustin reached the end of his milkshake he handed it to El. "You can wash this?"

El rolled her eyes and took the glass and walked to the back of the kitchen, leaving Mike and Dustin alone. "Soo.. anything new?" Dustin asked.

Mike shook his head. "Nope."

"God, this is painful." Dustin groaned. Mike nodded, "We still have like 2 hours left of us."

"Honestly, we could probably leave early." Dustin said with a shrug. "Yeah.. you could, but I have something planned later for El actually."

"Oh? Explain further?"

"No."

"Mike please! I We have literally nothing else to talk about!" Dustin whined, he was just begging for something to talk about, the silence was awkward enough.