~2~

~2~

            Brillia jumped up, her hand flying to her mouth. “Brage! No! Please, you can’t go.” Steadily, Brage made his way up to the front of the room, ignoring Brillia’s pleas. Brillia sat heavily back down in her chair. There had to be a way to convince him that he could not go. Brillia’s green eyes began to fill with salty tears. No horse is worth my brother’s life she thought, even if it is a Horse of Brimleigh.

            “Brage?” Lord Kyan said as his son bravely stepped up beside him. “I cannot let you go and risk your life for something that is of my own fault.”

            Brage turned to face his father, a steely expression masked his face, and his bright eyes were full of pure determination. “You say I may not go, but you will willingly let another? A guard may go, but your son may not? If I did not know you better Father, I might think you are showing favoritism.”

            Lord Kyan was shocked at his son’s sudden turn of attitude. Brage had never spoken like that during the course of his lifetime. “You dare accuse me of something that is not truthful? I am very sure that no Lord of Second World would let the heir to the Estate or Kingdom risk his life. If you are killed Brage, something I forbid myself of thinking, who will rise to the throne? One of your sisters?”

            Brage’s expression was fiery. He clenched his fists together, and pursed his lips. Through clenched teeth, he managed a response, “Don’t you ever underestimate Brillia. She is just as strong, smart and capable as I. Why is she unworthy of ruling Brimleigh?!” Brage was outraged, and Brillia was touched by the devotion to her that he was publically displaying.

            Lord Kyan was clearly distressed. Brillia could see that he was not pleased that his son was showing him up like this in front of the kingdom. “Very well… you may go.” Lord Kyan dismissed everyone, the decision had been made.

~~~~~

            Brillia’s heart was heavy, and she no longer was able to cry. She had done plenty of that earlier, and her eyes were bone dry. Brage was somewhere off in the smaller stable readying his horse, and himself. If Brage dies, I’ll die! Brillia thought miserably. Aderyn tried to be helpful, doing Brillia’s share of chores, telling her that if something did happen to Brage, she would make a wonderful ruler. None of it was able to pull Brillia out of her miserable gloom.

            “Brillia?” Brage said, and knocked on her door. Brillia instantly perked up at the sound of her beloved brother’s voice. Maybe he has come to say they he has changed his mind. No longer will he go. He has come to say that he will stay at the Estate, and not run out into the wilderness on a wild goose chase. Brillia thought. Her heart, weighed down with hope, opened her door, and plastered a smile on her face, forcing it to look genuine.

            “Brage… come in,” Brillia ushered him inside the room and he took a seat on a large wicker chair by the window that over-looked the kingdom. “I need to thank you… for standing up for me like that, in front of Father. And the whole kingdom.”

            “Do not think of it as a knightly gesture. What I said, I said because you are my sister…my twin,” Brage smiled, and Brillia took a deep, shaky breath. “You would do the same for me.” Would she? Brillia wondered. Would she have enough courage to stand up her father in front of everyone like Brage had done?

            “I suppose so… Brage, I need to tell you something. I really don’t want you to go.” Brillia’s eyes filled with tears once again, even though she thought she was past crying.