~3~

​ ~3~

​Her father's smiling face welcomed Brillia back when she returned from the ride. "Why do you look so happy? With everything going on?" she questioned Lord Kyron.

​"Ah, Brillia dear. Just the sight of you on a horse, fills me with joy," he smiled wistfully. "I'm just happy to see you smile again."

​"Thanks for reminding me," Brillia said sourly, and dismounted from Thorn's back. "I had forgotten all my worried of Brage. I am ever so grateful you decided to bring them back."

​Her father frowned sadly. "Don't make me feel guilty about all of this! Brage was correct...it is his duty."

​"No. It's not," Brillia shook her head and looked at the ground. "It was yours...not Brage's."

​Lord Kyron looked distressed. "Stop attempting to be my enemy, Brill! This is equally hard on all of this. How do you think I felt? Sending my only son on what can be referred to as nothing but a mission that will most likely result in his death?"

​Brillia played with the reins, and bit her lip. "If Brage dies...I will make it my personal mission to never speak to you again."

​Lord Kyron stepped back, hurt, as Brillia stormed off, Thorn in tow. "You can't speak to me in this manner!" Lord Kyron thundered.

​Brillia stopped, and turned slowly on her heel. "Just watch me." She stated tightly, and wiped a tear from her cheek as she walked back into the stable. A sick, twisted feeling evolved in her gut as she started to regret her tone with her father. But she ignored it...it was his fault that her brother had been sent to his death! But maybe he won't die? She thought hopefully. Brage is strong...he'll make it through she reassured herself.

​At the sight of his clean stall, Thorn pricked his ears forward and quickened his already eager pace, so that he was jogging in stride with Brillia. Brillia gave a firm jerk on the reins, and Thorn immediately slid to a stop, and commenced to a walk.

​"That's good." Brillia stroked him, and lead the stallion into his stall, where she then undid the cinch on the heavy saddle, while Thorn tried to lip up a few bits of hay straggling behind in the hay net. The saddle slipped off his back easily, and Brillia pulled off the bridle, much to Thorn's delight. He shook in pleasure, glad to be rid of the saddle. Brillia deposited the saddle in the tack trunk outside the stall in the trunk.

​She then pulled a soft brush from the box and re-entered the stall. Thorn leaned into her as she ran it over his coat. She breathed deeply, as an image of Brage's face wormed its way into her mind. It filled her vision, blocking out everything. Bright lights swam in front of her eyes, and a pounding started to form into her mind. She gasped and dropped the brush, then crumpled to the floor as Brage's face grew larger.

​She lay on the straw that covered the floor, sobbing as hard as she could. Thorn stood beside her, nuzzling her rigid back with his nose, while she cried. The image of Brage wouldn't leave, and with each passing second, her head hurt more and more until she became convinced her head would explode.

​And then, all of a sudden, the face disappeared. Brillia continued to cry anyhow, pounding her fists against the ground. Thorn nickered comfortably, and pushed his nose firmly against her neck.

​She raised a hand to her face, and sniffed. Thorn rested his chin on her shoulder while Brillia composed herself. As she reached up to wipe the tears from her wet cheeks, she saw a worried face peering at her from over the stall door.

​"Aderyn?" she choked, and shakily rose to her feet, using Thorn's muscular shoulder for support.

​"Can I come in?" Aderyn's voice was heavy with worry, as she pulled back the bolt and stepped into the stall.