The Horses of Brimleigh

~1~

Brillia's long black hair flew out behind her as she rushed towards the large, elegant stables of Brimleigh, the beautiful horse Capitol of Second World. Her long red skirts caused her to trip, so she bunched them up in her fists, and continued on the grassy path to the stable. Looking up, she caught sight of her father, standing by the entrance to the Grand Stable, a grave expression drawn on his face.

"Father!" She said out of breath when she finally reached him. "Why the look of worry?"

Her father was the Lord of Brimleigh and Watcher of the Horses. His job was to keep the province of Brimleigh in-tact and the Horses of Brimleigh safe. "Something awful has happened my dear Brillia."

"Whatever is it?" Worry shadowed Brillia's pearly white face. Her striking green eyes opened wide. "Has something happened to Mother?" Brillia couldn't bear the awful thought of something happening to her beloved mother. Thoughts ran through her mind at the speed of light, all of them worse than the last.

"No, Brill. Not that. Your mother is fine. Why, she is in the dining hall at this very second eating breakfast with your sister," her father became distracted for a moment. "And that is where you should be right now. Brillia, I want you to go back to the Estate. Tell your mother that she is needed at the stable as soon as she can come."

"Why though Father? Will you not tell me?" Brillia could not possibly imagine what was troubling her father. Now that she knew her mother and thirteen year old sister, Aderyn were not harmed, she could think of nothing else.

"At this time, no, Brillia I cannot tell you. Just please," her father pleaded "Alert your mother?"Brillia sighed in defeat, and half-heartedly jogged back to the large Estate. Her footfalls were light against the dewy grass, her breath came out of her mouth in milky white puffs, highlighted by the chilly morning air.

Brillia entered through the gates to the Estate, and slowed to a brisk walk which carried her up the gravel drive, through the large oak doors, and down the hall to the dining room "Mother?" Brillia poked her head through another set of heavy oak doors.

"Yes Brillia?" Her mother, Lady Bayla, set down her raspberry scone that was slathered in bright yellow honey and sat up straighter in her chair.

"Father said that you are wanted to go down to the stable at once, or whenever you can possibly spare yourself. However, Father sounded quite frantic and he looked very troubled. I'd go right away if I were you." Brillia relayed the message.

"Yes, yes. I will go down at once! Thank you for the message Brill. Now please, sit down and eat something." Lady Bayla got up from the table, gathered her long, jade-green skirts in her porcelain white hands and exited the dining room. Brillia desperately hoped that everything was alright.

"I dearly hope that nothing awful has befallen the Estate or Brimleigh!" Brillia pondered aloud. "Father seemed dreadfully worried though. Do you suppose that something could have occurred among the horses?"

"Please do not even bother going there!" Aderyn exclaimed with horror. "If something were to happen to the Horses of Brimleigh, Second World would be destroyed."

"You are right," Brillia agreed, as she took a slice of dark pink ham and laid it upon a piece of brown bread filled with nuts and seeds. "I will try to not let my head wander to such impossible thoughts. There is no way something could have happened to the Horses. How could trouble come upon them? They are under excellent guarded care."

"How worried did Father sound?" Aderyn wiped her hands on an elegant green cloth that sat on her lap. Brillia thought for a moment.

"He was very worried. He had a grave expression set on his face, and his tone was troubled." Brillia took a small sip of pomegranate juice, and using her tongue to lick up all the extra liquid which had clung to her lips.