XIII

The Calypso dropped out of hyperspace in the blink of an eye. Dubrovn glowed like a luminescent, rainbow-hued gem orbited by hundreds of twinkling moons in the vast darkness of space.

     Jax whistled. "That's a lot nicer looking than any of the vids I've laid eyes on."

     "I haven't been here before," Syd admitted, with Mauvrick and Luke nodding in agreement.

     "That's because no one comes without an invitation from a resident," Liri stated.

     "No one?"

     "Not usually, no." Liri shook her head. "There's a defensive Net protecting Dubrovn and all its satellites."

     "A Net?" Syd crossed her arms over her ample chest.

     "We have a peaceful system due to the measures we took to keep our home safe after the Draconian Invasion." Out of the corner of her eye, Liri caught sight of Ardon's wings twitch. "Without an invite, you can't get through the shield."

     "You mean the specs for the Net?" Mauvrick's deep voice seemed to vibrate the air like EDM bass.

     Turning a surprised eye at him, Liri asked, "Aren't you only a cook and hired gun?"

     Mauvrick quickly reassembled the newly-cleaned laser-rifle in his many hands. "You acclimate the ship's shields to the Net's frequency, and you can pass right through," he stated confidently and clicked the trigger of his rifle.

     Liri quirked a brow. "How would you like a new job?"

     Mauvrick chuckled. "I could never leave the Calypso. She's the loyalist lady in my life."

     "She's the only lady in your life, you purple idiot," Jax muttered as he turned in his seat and began grooming himself.

     "So, it's still true." Mauvrick shrugged and began pulling his weapon apart once again.

     "It's an open invitation."

     "Don't poach my crew, at least not in front of me," Syd griped playfully.

     After clearing her throat, Liri asked, "Any contact from the other ships?"

     "They are waiting for instructions on the outskirts of the system," Jax said before stuffing something he picked off of his fur into his mouth.

     "Perfect." Liri glanced at Ardon and little Toby playfully fighting over his eyewear once again. Then at Seventy-six's much healthier-looking form standing next to them. "Let them know it may be a day or two before we have further instructions."

     "Sure thing." Jax's eyes widened. "There are four incoming craft."

     Liri took a deep breath. "It's alright, they won't shoot unless we do so first."

     "That's hardly comforting, Lady Delaney," Ardon said, with a wink.

     "You'll just have to trust me then."

     Nodding, he said, "I'm pretty sure I do that already." 

     They smiled at one another as the ships surrounded the Calypso. Static ran over her skin.

     "What was that?" Ardon grumbled.

     "A scan."

     "I didn't like it," Mauvrick voiced Liri's feelings.

     "It wasn't that bad, but I don't want to do it again anytime soon," Jax said.

     After a few moments, a dark-blue man's face filled the viewer.