Party like a Rockstar

Lovie

There are times when quiet means peace. Quiet can be calming, relaxing, enjoyable... but there are other times when the quiet can be damning. Right now. On this cold night, it's damning.

My mother is God knows where, my brother is probably snuggled in bed — in his own apartment, Astrid hasn't responded to my text, and the silence is deafening.

The kind of deafening that makes you wary of your own thoughts.

I'm not sure where my mom is, and that scares me. Don't get me wrong, she's a terrible mother, but I still want to know she's okay. Her boyfriend, Mitch, is a terrible influence. As if drinking herself into oblivion wasn't enough, she's been injecting herself with God knows what. It scares me. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I shiver as I plop myself onto the couch and turn the TV on. The Office. I just don't believe you're human if Michael Scott can't make you laugh while Jim Halpert makes you swoon. This will make me feel better. I smile to myself and settle in for the night.

Three episodes later that dreaded 'Are you still watching?' screen pops up. As I click to continue I hear a knock on my door.

It's ten o'clock in the evening, I had zero plans and no money for pizza. Maybe it's Jake.

As I make my way to the door I peak out the window to see Astrid bouncing on the balls of her feet. Pulling the door open I quirk an eyebrow at an obviously excited Astrid, "Are you okay?"

A squeal comes out of her mouth as she pulls me into a hug, "Aiden is back!"

I giggle hugging her back, "Yeah I know! He stopped by the station earlier."

She pushed herself off of me and held my shoulders, "Why didn't you tell me? We could have made plans with him tonight! I know you've missed him, and have you noticed his glow up? That boy glowed up." She popped the 'p' and waggled her brows.

I laughed and rolled my eyes, "Yes I noticed his glow up, he's always been attractive though. Where did you see him?" I began walking to the kitchen to grab a soda.

Astrid followed and informed me that she saw him at Burger King earlier with a group of guys from school.

"So there's a party tonight." Astrid grabbed the soda from my hand and casually took a sip.

I pursued my lips and nodded, "That's cool."

"We should go."

"You can go, I don't want to."

"Please?"

I let out a groan, "Why?"

"Well, because I can't go to Asher Adam's party by myself. You're the best DD I know, and you never drink and you never do drugs. You're like the poster child for saying no to peer pressure."

I stared at her for a moment, she was right. I always said no. I have witnessed first hand what drugs and alcohol do to you, and not to sound cliche or anything but I ain't about that life.

"Okay." I sighed, A let out a loud squeal of excitement, "On one condition!" I interjected before she could get too excited.

"You name it!"

"If you drink you don't do any drugs, if you do any type of drug, you do not drink."

She nodded excitedly and pushed me towards the steps, "Yes! I agree, now let's get you dressed!"

I happily oblige and head to my room to allow her to sift through my clothes. A few minutes later she threw a ratty band tee towards me and a pair of high waisted 'mom' jeans.